Big Mouth Bubbler- Solution to the bad lid seal problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Problem

I bought 6 plastic Big Mouth Bubbler fermentors. My old Better Bottles have seen better days. These new fermentors are almost perfect for me - large mouth, 6.5g, taller/thinner, gallon marks on side, etc. However, it bugs me that the lid leaks around the threads. Not only do you not get any indication of fermentation in your airlock, which really isn't a big deal, but you get O2 intrusion at the same leak, and possible fruit fly intrusion as well (!).

Northern brewer just started selling a Big Mouth Bubbler Universal Lid for the fermentor that has a really nice tiered silicone seal. At first it looked perfect, but it wasn't. I thought this blue piece would merely replace the original white piece of the bubbler lid. I thought that the original blue threaded ring would fit around the new silicone insert and hold it down. Nope.

So, then I thought that it would work fine without the ring holding it down. I thought it would stay down with mere friction. Nope. It pops right back up on its own. It did this even when there was nothing in the carboy. It's much worse when wet. It pops right back up out of the bubbler.

To Northern Brewer: WTF.

Good news: there's two ways to fix this problem. The first is really simple, with no DIY needed at all. The second way is much better for me, but requires some tools.

bubbler-lid-66366.jpg

Easy solution

Simply remove the silicone gasket from the new "universal" blue lid, and insert the gasket into the old blue threaded ring, right on top of the old white piece. It pretty much stays in there. It will seal the lid when placed onto the bubbler. It does feel like it could just fall into the fermentor, but it won't, at least not easily, as the gasket is about 1/4 wider in diameter than the bubbler mouth. I only briefly tested this, but it seems like it would seal great.

_mg_1141-66359.jpg

Better way, with some DIY

The better solution for me was to modify the new universal gasketed lid so that the threaded ring fit around it. You want the new blue lid to be the same diameter as the old white plastic one. So, clamp together, use a sharpie marker, draw outline, and cut with jigsaw. I used a bench grinder and a deburring tool to clean up the edge, but you could do the same with a file or similar. They don't have to be perfect. Keep trimming until it drops easily into the threaded ring.

I did 6 of them in about 15 minutes. I know they work - I've got 6 of them in service right now :)

When you're done, spray everything with starsan, press the gasketed part all the way down into the carboy, then screw the lid on. This part is important. It's really hard to screw the lid down if you haven't pushed the gasket all the way into the carboy. You'll see.

[late edit] @Mongoose gave me a great idea: cut the top ring off the silicone gasket. This is the largest one. Seems to make everything easier when getting this DIY assembly on and screwed down.

_mg_1144-66361.jpg

_mg_1145-66362.jpg

_mg_1147-66363.jpg

_mg_1148-66364.jpg

_mg_1149-66365.jpg

_mg_1184-66367.jpg

Nice. I may have to order a couple of those new "universal" lids and toss the plastic part as I need two ports and the new lid only has one (I have a thermowell that needs to go in the lid.)

I'm going to try stuffing a piece edge trim I have laying around inside the blue ring. I don't know if the gasket of the new lid is available by itself. Anyone know? Waiting to hear back from NB

Thanks for posting this Passedpawn. All this time I thought the new lids were a replacement for just the white plate of the old lid. NB should have made the new ones fit like you have done with yours.

$6 just for the lid and you have to modify it to make it work right... lame. They dont even give you one with the plastic ones... even more lame.

$6 just for the lid and you have to modify it to make it work right... lame. They dont even give you one with the plastic ones... even more lame.

I'm OK with the $6 (I got them for less with discount). But right, they should at least work. Take my word for it, they completely pop out of the plastic bubbler. I can't believe that nobody actually tested them. Or, they sold them anyway.

What I really don't understand is why they didn't just make a silicone seal to add to the existing lid. Maybe there's a good reason, but I don't see it.

Anyway, I'm not ranting here. I am glad to have the solution, even if part of it was something I had to modify. This hobby is full of DIY, and that's not going away anytime soon.

Gotta love NB. I posted a review up there, summarizing what I put here. I even gave this gadget 3 stars, which is probably generous given the situation. The review showed up for about 1 hour, then disappeared. I even verified my email etc so I would be a "trusted" reviewer. Probably it got nixed because I put a link to this thread in the review (in an attempt to help out the next guy who buys these things). Oh well, I tried.

[edit] Review is back up. I take back everything I said :) I do like NB.

Gotta love NB. I posted a review up there, summarizing what I put here. I even gave this gadget 3 stars, which is probably generous given the situation. The review showed up for about 1 hour, then disappeared. I even verified my email etc so I would be a "trusted" reviewer. Probably it got nixed because I put a link to this thread in the review (in an attempt to help out the next guy who buys these things). Oh well, I tried.

First and foremost, thanks for the fix!

I still don't understand why northern brewer/Midwest continue to pull reviews...so shady. Also the big mouth bubbler continues to be a great concept with poor execution. One of these days they will gt it all right and I will buy one

Man it seems like someone could design a simple silicone seal for this thing! How hard can it be?

A modified screw-on lid with a re-designed silicone inner seal that has an angled lip so that it seals around the INSIDE of the top of the mouth instead of relying on a flat and level top edge and seal.

Hell I could probably throw a design together and have a cut-section to show them in about an hour. And most of that is remembering how to design a revolve in SW!

If it helps, I did ask them if the silicon rings are for sale separately. I got a response a few minutes ago saying they are not, but would be in the future. I also asked about the seals from the 1st generation glass BMBs. It's been stated those seals do not work with the plastic BMBs or with the new universal lid. I figured, I could cut them to size if they are bigger than the plastic BMB mouth.

Your mod should have been the way to do it the first time.

Maybe something like this? The idea being that the tapered silicone seal might find it easier to match up with the inner corner of the opening, rather than relying on the lid and top of the BMB to be flat and level.

Nice work Homer! That's sort of what I ended up with by marrying the new piece and the old lid ring.

The ribs on the gasket you see in the picture grip the inside diameter of the neck of the carboy, similar to what you're proposing. In fact, there are about 4 of those ribs, so it definitely makes a good seal. The silicone is very soft and pliable.

Nice. I may have to order a couple of those new "universal" lids and toss the plastic part as I need two ports and the new lid only has one (I have a thermowell that needs to go in the lid.)

There is a dual ported universal lid as well. I haven't ordered one yet but I'll assume the outer dimensions of the blue piece are the same in the single and dual ported versions.

There is a dual ported universal lid as well. I haven't ordered one yet but I'll assume the outer dimensions of the blue piece are the same in the single and dual ported versions.

I do not see a dual port universal lid in their fall catalog or online. Link? I know they have the white plastic dual port piece, but that's not the silicone-gasketed universal lid that we'd like to see.

Nice work Homer! That's sort of what I ended up with by marrying the new piece and the old lid ring.

The ribs on the gasket you see in the picture grip the inside diameter of the neck of the carboy, similar to what you're proposing. In fact, there are about 4 of those ribs, so it definitely makes a good seal. The silicone is very soft and pliable.

Yeah, after going back to look over your pictures I see they are very similar.

I can't imagine how a simple design like this won't work. I think it would be even better if it were ribbed for our pleasure, but I didn't want to spend the extra couple minutes ribbing the seal.

Also it doesn't show it, but I didn't add threads to the lid. Not even cosmetic threads. Just too lazy! LOL!

The dual port version is item #41830 in Midwest Supplies catalog. Someone posted a pic of it on another thread here. But the weird thing is that I can't find that item listed on their website. They only have the single port version.

I'll search on this forum for the thread.

I seem to have no issues with the original lid on the glass model. My simple solution is to add saran wrap around the lid and glass neck. Don't think you can get much cheaper than that. The saran wrap clings to it like nobody's business and provides extra insurance in the event there "may" be some leak by. In fact as a general technique I wrap all my carboy bungs with saran wrap for piece of mind. Typically after rinsing with star san & drip dry the inside neck is still a little wet and pushes the bungs back out a bit. I don't like drying the inside neck for fear of infection. Soo... boom, saran wrap. Works like a charm.

I have the plastic BMB. Saran wrap is what I've been using as well. I sanitize a few layers, set it over the opening, put the white lid on, pull up on the saran wrap and then put the blue screw down lid on. That way, the saran wrap doesn't get onto the threads. Then just cut a hole in the wrap for the stopper. It works but it's a pain if you want to take the lid off to do anything.

Maybe something like this? The idea being that the tapered silicone seal might find it easier to match up with the inner corner of the opening, rather than relying on the lid and top of the BMB to be flat and level.

The problem is that their manufacturing tolerances are obviously crap, until they fix that making a "Universal" lid seems kind of a moot point..since they cant even get the fermenter right i doubt they could get a proper screw top working lol.

The problem is that their manufacturing tolerances are obviously crap, until they fix that making a "Universal" lid seems kind of a moot point..since they cant even get the fermenter right i doubt they could get a proper screw top working lol.

How do you mean? The universal lid is designed to deal with crap tolerances like out of round, not flat or square.

These things don't necessarily require critical tolerances to function if the lid seal is designed to accommodate it. It's not rocket science. They just need to think up something that works and is inexpensive enough to get people to buy.

How do you mean? The universal lid is designed to deal with crap tolerances like out of round, not flat or square.

These things don't necessarily require critical tolerances to function if the lid seal is designed to accommodate it. It's not rocket science. They just need to think up something that works and is inexpensive enough to get people to buy.

That they, or whoever they buy from is incapable of doing so it seems is my point. :)

The plastic big mouth bubbler is fine. I have zero complaints (and lots of praise) for it so far. Of course, I just bought them 4 days ago :) My intent here was to solve problems with the lid, and also problems with the replacement gasketed lid.

The plastic big mouth bubbler is fine. I have zero complaints (and lots of praise) for it so far. Of course, I just bought them 4 days ago :) My intent here was to solve problems with the lid, and also problems with the replacement gasketed lid.

I've had mine for about a year. I love mine. I hate they don't seal like they should, but the ease of cleaning far outweighs the seal issue.

On another note, I got an email from NB saying the gaskets for the universal lids are available separately. I have a feeling that's a typo as I was told just two days prior they were not but would be in the future. I guess either the "future" meant two days later, or it's just a communication issues among the company. I do not see the option of getting the seals by themselves on their website.

Either way, I'll eventually do the passedpawn mod. I'll just add the lids to my next order. Until then, I'll just wing it with the edge trim stuffed into the lid ring.

They've got some kind of silicone gasket for their glass carboys. I've seen them online. That's probably what they are talking about. They've got loads of products, probably their people get confused, especially with new stuff.

I've had mine for about a year. I love mine. I hate they don't seal like they should, but the ease of cleaning far outweighs the seal issue.

On another note, I got an email from NB saying the gaskets for the universal lids are available separately. I have a feeling that's a typo as I was told just two days prior they were not but would be in the future. I guess either the "future" meant two days later, or it's just a communication issues among the company. I do not see the option of getting the seals by themselves on their website.

Either way, I'll eventually do the passedpawn mod. I'll just add the lids to my next order. Until then, I'll just wing it with the edge trim stuffed into the lid ring.

Went to order some gas line and thought I would added a couple of lids for my BMBs.

Out of stock. :(

Good news Yesfan and Allfans, they're back in stock! I'm gonna mod mine when they arrive! Thanks for the R&D (research & development) Passedpawn.

I got a good seal after I ducted tape mine down and around the edges. It's a cheap hack and the duct tape comes of easy enough. Annoying that NB would ship a product like this.

I got a couple of the new lids i am using them on both the plastic and the glass bubblers and they work great

Back