Big Mouth Bubbler lid slipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSpangen

Reaction score
Using my new 6.5G glass BMB for the first time. Lid is pushing up, but airlock is still very active. How critical is a firm seal at the BMB lid?

Would defeat the purpose of keeping any airborne stuff out of your soon to be beer if the seal was compromised. Little bit of a smaller scale, but I use electrical tape to keep the rubber bungs from slipping up and off the gallon glass jugs. Fairly inexpensive, easy to take off when needed and doesn't leave any sticky residue behind.

Using my new 6.5G glass BMB for the first time. Lid is pushing up, but airlock is still very active. How critical is a firm seal at the BMB lid?

Cut off the largest ring on that gasket - made it easier to deal with. I have six of them and these lids were a massive pain in the azz until I did this. Credit to @mongoose33 , I think.
1595286575515.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the help -- will try to flip the gasket - electrical tape was no match for the lid pressure

No joke, that is really clever.

Fermentation at scale, I could see how electrical tape isn’t going to help you.

Do you have the harness and maybe can cinch that down? Is NB able to provide any insight? Seems unlikely, but maybe an answer in some of the reviews left with the product?

No joke, that is really clever.

Fermentation at scale, I could see how electrical tape isn’t going to help you.

Do you have the harness and maybe can cinch that down? Is NB able to provide any insight? Seems unlikely, but maybe an answer in some of the reviews left with the product?

The answer is above. You didn't like it?

I have the strap and all I do is criss-cross the two that go across the top and tighten it down. Gasket always stays in place. And I have an easy way to carry it around.

Nice -- have you tried it?

No, I'm not a Big Mouth Bubbler owner. I was shopping on Etsy for brew supplies just to see what they had and I stumbled on this product. It caught my attention because BMBs were great when they came out, but I lost interest once they changed the lids. I thought this was a really great fix.

Last edited:
I use a round 5lb barbell weight that I got at Dick's. Air lock fits up through the center of the weight and the weight holds down the lid perfectly. Easy to put on and take off.

I got a strap from the hardware store. I think it cost me $2. Works like a charm. Before that, I used two bricks, one on either side of the airlock.

Great tips here, I just use a lot of duct tape, which does work, but may check out the clips on Etsy or trim the gasket as suggested. Also really helps to make sure the seal and moth of the BmB are bone dry.

Back