Big Mouth Bubbler Evo 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the 1G, but I would take them in a heartbeat. They actually have level markings on them now.

If it's 17% thicker than this:
216660d1407610626-big-mouth-bubblers-dangerously-thin-img_1259.jpg

then that makes it like 1.75mm thick instead of 1.5mm. SOLD!

I gotta put in my vote for PET big mouth bubbler for primary. Maybe a standard glass carboy for secondary if you need it. The PET BMB is the bee's knees.

don't they have sealing problems, as in: there is no gasket under the lid?

The lid is flared in such a way where if you tighten it down enough, it seals. At least in my experience.

Kind of like a flare fitting for gas connections.

Edit: talking about the PET version

I was also going to point out that "17% thicker than something that is only 30% what it should be" isn't going to cut it. Well it might cut you.

I've wanted to get a PET or 2 of these, but supply on them in Canada is lacking. Prefer to not go with a craps shoot on whether or not border fees will hit it or not.

The only beef I have with my plastic BMB is it's too tall to fit in my cold-crashing mini fridge.

I'm still hoping that they will make some kind of gesture as far as compensation towards a new one if we bought one of the old ones... I have beer in mine now but worry every time I pick it up.

I plan on buying one of these soon.

I got lucky and got a GOOD glass BMB the first time around. But it was 5 gallons.

Then I got a 6.5 plastic BMB. It is OK, but I worry about infection in plastic and the lid thing is annoying.

SO, I'm going to get one of these in the next couple weeks.

My harness from my plastic BMB will likely fit.

Why this vs a standard glass carboy? That amazing wide mouth. I hate trying to clean the normal carboys.

So - once I get it, I'll let you all know.

i just order one these. this is my first glass primary. i have been using buckets and and 5 gallon glass carboy for secondary. if all goes well with it i will be ordering another. and likely put the buckets aside!

brewed: belgian ipa, english pale, american cream, irish red
Primary: imperial american blonde

i have been brewing for about 5 months now! im hooked

i just order one these. this is my first glass primary. i have been using buckets and and 5 gallon glass carboy for secondary. if all goes well with it i will be ordering another. and likely put the buckets aside!

brewed: belgian ipa, english pale, american cream, irish red

Primary: imperial american blonde

i have been brewing for about 5 months now! im hooked

Be sure to update your will, before it arrives.

You're loved ones will thank you for it.

@-stpug
Perhaps you should take a look at the `glass carboy horror story threads` then re-evaluate your last statement. Version 1 was paper thin, sure it's great that they are trying to make them thicker but their 17% needs a another zero OR TWO behind that number to make them a safe product. I wont be buying one and have allready warned the owners of the local homebrew shops to avoid them as a safety hazard.

Last edited:
@-stpug
Perhaps you should take a look at the `glass carboy horror story threads` then re-evaluate your last statement. Version 1 was paper thin, sure it's great that they are trying to make them thicker but their 17% needs a another zero OR TWO behind that number to make them a safe product. I wont be buying one and have allready warned the owners of the local homebrew shops to avoid them as a safety hazard.

Yeah, I've read them. What's your point?

Nice sense of humor you got there.

Play your comment off how you want (like I don't have a sense of humor). Well made glass fermenters are excellent containers for our hobby. If you can't accept the risk then don't drive the car.

Play your comment off how you want (like I don't have a sense of humor). Well made glass fermenters are excellent containers for our hobby. If you can't accept the risk then don't drive the car.

A) my comment about updating his will was obviously a joke. If you have read the thread about the first version of the Big Mouth Bubbler, you might get it.

B) my comment was regarding the glass big mouth bubbler, which has a reputation for spontaneous destruction, not glass carboys in general. I am well aware that regular glass carboys are fine for fermenting with, and have used them myself.

I now have my glass BMB evo 2.

I will be using it this weekend for a PA.

So - review:

EVO 2 is thicker.
It is thicker. It FEELS solid. As in - I don't think - if handled appropriately - that it will blow to pieces. I am confident in using it. I am just as confident using this glass fermenter as I would be using a normal glass carboy.

I have a GOOD version of the original glass BMB. So I can compare the two. Again - the EVO 2 is much thicker.

Gallon markings. :rockin:
I haven't checked the accuracy of the markings yet. I'll do that today and report back.

Lid
The lid is the same as on the old glass BMB. Which is good. The BIG difference is the lip on the glass ... it is now WIDER where the lid comes in contact providing a SOLID seal. Now I will never worry about air getting in (like with the plastic BMB).

I don't plan on using the lid as an air lock. That's what I've got air locks for. I will drill the lid and put in a thermowell (just get an extra bucket lid grommet from NB or similar).

SAFETY
I don't have the glass BMB harness. I've got one for the plastic 6.5 gallon BMB and it FITS. Not perfect, but good enough for my uses. I like the comment about using milk crates. I'm going to see if it will fit in a milk crate. If so - golden.

CONS
There are artistic/decorative "bubbles" in the glass (not the bubbles from flawed glass making, these are purposely in the glass). Very similar to the plastic BMB bubbles. This just means I've got to makes sure I clean the inside well to ensure nothing gets left behind in these "bubbles". So not a big deal... but 1/2 star off for that.

So - for those on the fence ... GET THIS. Handle it like it is made out of glass... because it IS... and you'll be safe.

Bubbles - "purposely in the glass"?

You folks must realize none of these "Bubblers" were actually designed for what NB is selling them for...

Cheers! :drunk:

I don't care if they were "designed for" what NB is selling them for. Plastic buckets were not "designed for" fermenting beer.

I care if the product I buy WILL ferment beer. Many things fit that bill. The EVO2 BMB fits it rather well.

You folks must realize none of these "Bubblers" were actually designed for what NB is selling them for...

Really? What were they designed for?

I heard they were originally used for fermenting Kimchi, but I wouldn't swear to that fact.

Original intent doesn't (necessarily) matter as long as A) it works, and B) it doesn't spontaneously self-destruct like the previous version.

He is talking about the bubble shaped embossments in the glass, not the bubbler airlock in the lid.

The sides are covered in uneven round embossments which don't probably do much except make them harder to get clean. Oh, and look cool. They make it look cool.

I will be using it this weekend for a PA.

So - review:

So - for those on the fence ... GET THIS.

I'm glad initial inspection seems to checkout, I definitely don't enjoy stories of my fellow homebrewers getting injured, but perhaps you should consider putting it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval.

Rev.

I'm in no hurry to get one until extensive use by others proves they are reasonably safe. I'll make do with plastic for now.

Actually I'm thinking about the FastFerment plastic conical. If I can find a good way to mount it in my ferm chamber I'll consider buying one.

I have the Plastic MBM 5 gallon and it's fine for short term secondary, or for small batch primary.

I took advantage of NB's 20% off sale and bought one of these. Arrived today. Will see how it works and how it holds up

I'm glad initial inspection seems to checkout, I definitely don't enjoy stories of my fellow homebrewers getting injured, but perhaps you should consider putting it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval.

Rev.

I don't have to wait till I put it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval. My review is based on its physical construction. Which is the main point of concern for everyone reading this thread.

Anything that holds liquid can ferment wort.

This review is my opinion. My opinion is that this fermenter is GREAT.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Man.

---

For those that will not ever get this fermenter and only are posting on here about how sh*tty they are... why bother? This thread is for those that might or might not actually want to purchase and use this fermenter.

Posting that you are only going to use plastic because glass is made of glass ... well that's :off:

I don't have to wait till I put it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval. My review is based on its physical construction. Which is the main point of concern for everyone reading this thread.

Man.

---

For those that will not ever get this fermenter and only are posting on here about how sh*tty they are... why bother? This thread is for those that might or might not actually want to purchase and use this fermenter.

Posting that you are only going to use plastic because glass is made of glass ... well that's :off:

That's all well and good, but have you actually filled it up with 5+ gallons of liquid and tried to move it yet?

Not trying to be snarky, that's a serious question. Saying "it feels solid enough" is not the same thing as actually testing it.

That's all well and good, but have you actually filled it up with 5+ gallons of liquid and tried to move it yet?

Not trying to be snarky, that's a serious question. Saying "it feels solid enough" is not the same thing as actually testing it.

That is a serious question and not snarky at all.

Yes I have. I filled it with 6 gallons and moved it. Because I was sanitizing it. As stated, I've got a plastic 6.5g BMB harness on it (not perfect fit. close enough).

Man.

---

Not OT at all. It's a comparison between the topic of discussion, a glass container which is closely related to one that has been proven to have a good chance of breaking, and a very similar container made of plastic that is not likely to break at all.

By all means, be the guinea pig! The more people testing these things out, the better!

Won't be me, though. It's not worth the hassle of ordering, replacing, losing beer, getting hurt.

Man.

---

People who are raving about it because they're on a buyers high and don't want to regret their decision are no better than people who are degrading something they haven't tried.

You do realize your review is nearly identical to all of the "JUST GOT MY BIG MOUTH BUBBLER, THIS THING ROCKS!!!!" posts people made when these things first came out right?

The new bubbler could have exactly the same issues as the old one with respect to breakage, and your review would read the same as it does now. So for all of the people whose main skepticism about the new bubbler is being unconvinced that it automatically solves the breakage issues, your review does nothing for them.

That doesn't mean your review isn't valuable, but you shouldn't be surprised that people are taking it with a grain of salt.

I don't have to wait till I put it through actual use before giving it an all caps stamp of approval.

Man.

Wow, I really value your opinion even more now :rolleyes: You're taking this too personally as your replies seem uneccesarily defensive.

Rev.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back