Big Mouth Bubbler drilled with Bb simpleflo/ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlaterS

Reaction score
Anyone tried this or have any pro's/con's to drilling out the plastic big mouth? I like the idea of a base valve for siphoning as I'm about to break my auto siphon over my knee. I would just get the better bottle pre drilled but c'mon, who doesn't want a big mouth for super easy clean up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Or a speidel. Big mouth and spigot, airlock, and caps to cover when not using spigot. 30L for $60 free shipping at more beer. Getting rid of the siphon was amazing and I can wipe down the inside.

Or a speidel. Big mouth and spigot, airlock, and caps to cover when not using spigot. 30L for $60 free shipping at more beer. Getting rid of the siphon was amazing and I can wipe down the inside.

Wiping down the inside is a bad idea. You will create scratches than can harbor bacteria. A soak with oxyclean/pbw and then sloshing some hot water should be all that is necessary to clean them. If you rub even with your hand you can scratch the plastic. You may not see the scratches with your eyes, but bacteria are so small they don't need very big scratches to hide in.

Do you mean you plan to pour beer from a spigot or will you use tubing to prevent oxidation?

Anyway, the plastic is thin and I'd be weary if I were drilling it. My drill would probably push in the plastic because it is heavy. Even if I went with a light hand, I'd be worried about screwing up.

As for wiping, I've never heard of not even using your hand to wipe the inside of a plastic carboy or bucket while rinsing.

As for wiping, I've never heard of not even using your hand to wipe the inside of a plastic carboy or bucket while rinsing.

That's interesting. I've heard it lots of times on the brewing network. Jamil and Doc are especially adamant about it, and many of their guests have been too. The logic is that once a scratch is made the bacteria can get into it but the sanitizer may not get into the scratch because of surface tension or micro bubbles. Then when the beer is put it the bacteria can be free to get into the beer.

I don't doubt scratches harbor bacteria. I'd be a damn fool to say that. I just can't wrap my head around the palm of my hand actually scratching a bucket while I am running warm water through it.

I don't doubt scratches harbor bacteria. I'd be a damn fool to say that. I just can't wrap my head around the palm of my hand actually scratching a bucket while I am running warm water through it.

Maybe they are just being paranoid? I would guess that someone that uses lotion regularly and doesn't do a lot of manual labor would be much less likely to scratch by touch than, say, a brick mason. It would be interesting to try it with a pristine bucket and a microscope. I even have a microscope, I'll see what I can come up with.

Maybe they are just being paranoid? I would guess that someone that uses lotion regularly and doesn't do a lot of manual labor would be much less likely to scratch by touch than, say, a brick mason. It would be interesting to try it with a pristine bucket and a microscope. I even have a microscope, I'll see what I can come up with.

I work with my hands often. I do a lot of home-improvement and I do at ton of yardwork. Those are pretty much the two things that I do that can wreck up my hands. However, I am a lady and I do you use lotion regularly. Even so I just didn't see how the palm of my hand could scratch a bucket. It is definitely worth looking into. The only infection I have ever had thus far was due to my own negligence and not making sure that a can opener was not grungy. The infection has led to my first sour though. ;-)

I work with my hands often. I do a lot of home-improvement and I do at ton of yardwork. Those are pretty much the two things that I do that can wreck up my hands. However, I am a lady and I do you use lotion regularly. Even so I just didn't see how the palm of my hand could scratch a bucket. It is definitely worth looking into. The only infection I have ever had thus far was due to my own negligence and not making sure that a can opener was not grungy. The infection has led to my first sour though. ;-)

I always use lotion when working with my hands ;)

Edit: I just couldn't help myself

Sent from myPhone

Back