Big jump in mash efficiency thanks to HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
I had been getting ~66% with my paint-strainer-bag-in-a-pot mash process.
I did some reading here and made a few adjustments.
I double-crushed the grain, thinned out and lengthened the mash, did a bigger batch sparge, and squeezed the **** out of the grain bag when done sparging.
This got me 83%!

Thanks HBT!

I'm not always going to have the extra time on my hands as I did today, but was excited about the outcome.

I recently had a brew day go similar by just double crushing the grains. I'm anxious to brew again after entering this new efficiency into my software and adjusting the grain bill to see if I can actually hit the numbers correctly. My last brew was supposed to have an OG of 1.061 and I actually hit 1.080. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new brew bag before I brew again.

I recently had a brew day go similar by just double crushing the grains. I'm anxious to brew again after entering this new efficiency into my software and adjusting the grain bill to see if I can actually hit the numbers correctly. My last brew was supposed to have an OG of 1.061 and I actually hit 1.080. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new brew bag before I brew again.

I'm still doing ~3 gallon batches mashing in a stock pot on my stove with a paint strainer bag.
I can get about 7 lbs of grain or so in there but have found a good deal on a tall water cooler that I'll convert into a mash/lauter tun.

Back