Big imperial stout with Brett. What should I know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm going to brew a Oaked Bretted Cherry Imperial Stout for an event that will be in months from now. My recipe is pretty established, but I have some questions about the brett activity.

I have to say that I have experiences and knowledge about the brett, but never used it with such a big heavy beer.

First of all, here's the grain bill:

Maris Otter 75%
Flaked Barley 10%
Roasted Barley 5%
Pale Chocolate 3%
Chocolate 3%
Crystal 120 2%
And cherries sugar reprensent 2% as well

I plan on a 1.090 OG, and aiming for a 1.025 primary FG, so 9% at that stage.

Here come the questions:

1- How much attenuation I should excpect from the brett after that primary?
2- How munch brett is resistent to IBUs? I was planing around 85...
3- What strain would be the most alcohol tolerent, and which one would give me a great profile with this type of beer?
4- Should I put the cherries for the whole aging, or for a few months only?

By the way, it will be kegged!

Thanks a lot!

most bretts are listed as having a max tolerance in the ~12% abv range. brett is not inhibited by hops at all, as far as i know. lacto is the one that can't deal with hops (depending on the strain of lacto)

brett lambicus is probably a good choice. i've never used it, but a lot of people describe it as throwing cherry or cherry pie flavor along with the funk.

put the cherries in for the last few weeks, at the end.

most bretts are listed as having a max tolerance in the ~12% abv range. brett is not inhibited by hops at all, as far as i know. lacto is the one that can't deal with hops (depending on the strain of lacto)

brett lambicus is probably a good choice. i've never used it, but a lot of people describe it as throwing cherry or cherry pie flavor along with the funk.

put the cherries in for the last few weeks, at the end.

That was good quick respond, thank you!

I am on my phone, but if you go into my profile page you can read about my Brett imperial stout. Mash high boil long, and it may take up to 8 months to stop moving. I am using the old Ale 9097 which I am told is basically, an English primary yeast and their brett L.

I have a couple years of doing this so if you have questions, ask away.

I am on my phone, but if you go into my profile page you can read about my Brett imperial stout. Mash high boil long, and it may take up to 8 months to stop moving. I am using the old Ale 9097 which I am told is basically, an English primary yeast and their brett L.

I have a couple years of doing this so if you have questions, ask away.

I read the whole thread, that's really interesting. That reminded me that brett are really hungry bums, so I upgraded my recipe to bring it to 1.100 (Maybe 1.110...), I would like to have the FG around 1.020-1.025, so I'll mash at 157, and boil for 2 hours, with even maybe a small side pot to boil a gallon of wort down to an almost-caramel.

I'm thinking to use the wlp028 scottish, to have the less attenuation possible.

Latest posts

Back