big hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I made a hefe a few days ago and did an open fermentation for the first few days, i sealed it up last night. Inwasn't impressed with the munich dry yeast in the past so i figured why not try it open.
5gal

7lbs pale malt
7lbs red wheat
4oz melanodin
.5lbs rice hulls

mashed 152 for 75min

1oz german perle fwh
1oz chech sazz 5min

pitched one packet of danstar munich yeast at 64 and left the lid cracked open 2 inches for 3 days.. it smells fruity as of right now, not what is was expecting but we will see how it turns out.

I would close the lid to minimize risk of infection.

I believe that open fermentation at large scales is only significant because it reduces the fluid pressure on the yeast when compared to something like a large conical. High fluid pressure reduces yeast esters compared to low pressure fermentation. At homebrew scales, fermenting in a sealed carboy exposes the yeast to less pressure than you would probably find at the bottom of a commercial fermenter anyway.

just from 3 days being open i noticed a big difference in aroma.. brewing tv episode 4 was my motovation for trying this. i will bottle in another week and keep you updated. my og was 1.064

I think a hefe would be a good candidate for an open fermentation given the rapid and aggressive nature of the top cropping yeasts used. I thought the episode on open fermentation on brew tv was great. Haven't tried it yet myself.

life got in the way but i finally bottled yesterday.. OG 1.064 FG 1.006 :ban: I hope it carbs up good, it is crystal clear.

It is carbing nicely.. i filled on plastic mr. beer bottle and it is firming up nicely :)

life got in the way but i finally bottled yesterday.. OG 1.064 FG 1.006 :ban: I hope it carbs up good, it is crystal clear.
It been over a month.I thought Hefe's were actually better young.Like drinking at about day 10? I brewed one yesterday that's why I mention it,more of a question really.Maybe someone will chime in.

yes they are better young, i just had too much going on to bottle on time. i'm not worried about it, im sure it will be good anyways.:tank:

This turned out to be more of a wheat wine than a hefe.. its warming and not very hefe like..

Back