Big Enough BrewPot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First I want to say I had a blast night at my local brewery. It was my 1st real experience in brewing beer. Not everything is fun like throwing in hops, pitching the yeast...etc. There are tons of hoses, clamps, cleaning, squeegeeing...etc BUT I had lots of fun. I talked to most of the guys there that are also homebrewers themselves and recommended SS pots. They suggested 30-40 Qt pots.

Here's the question - today there is a sale going on at a website that has 10% off an 32 qt pot BUT they do not have a 40/42 qt..they go up to 60 qt. Will that suffice for me? I'm planning on extract brews for a while. I know for a fact that I will not go into AG brewing for a while. I realize that moreso that a few days ago. There is a slight chance but it's going to be over a year AT LEAST. Plus the fact that helping out at the local brewery will also serve as an all grain outlet in a way. No it's not "mine" per se but I helped and we partake in the labors :)

What do you think?

Here's the question - today there is a sale going on at a website that has 10% off an 8 qt pot BUT they do not have a 40/42 qt..they go up to 60 qt. Will that suffice for me? I'm planning on extract brews for a while. I know for a fact that I will not go into AG brewing for a while. I realize that moreso that a few days ago. There is a slight chance but it's going to be over a year AT LEAST. Plus the fact that helping out at the local brewery will also serve as an all grain outlet in a way. No it's not "mine" per se but I helped and we partake in the labors :)

What do you think?

An 8qt pot is only quivalent to 2 gallons... Are you trying to brew 5 gallon batches? If so that will not suffice. That's not going to suffice for 2.5 gallon batches either. You'll definitely need/want more space. I'd strongly suggest just investing a little more money and getting a 8-8.5 gallon brewpot (32 or 34 quarts). You can even go aluminum as they're generally cheaper. Do a search on Amazon and I guarantee you'll find some anywhere from $20-$60.

When first started, I picked up my first brewpot (5.5 gal) at Wally World for $17. You could also go ahead and looking to a 7.5 gal min. aluminum brewpot that you could do full boils with and will be ready for AG when you make the jump.

60qt is huge if you're doing 5 gal batches - but nice for 10's! 8 to 10 gal pots are perfect for 5 gal full boils with no fear of boil overs. You can also turn that pot into an HLT if you go to 10 gal batches.

I went with a 60quart aluminum for $60. I now use my old 32 quart as a hlt. The only issue with using the 60 quart is that my boil off is now 2 gallons per hour so I've had to make adjustments but otherwise the price was right. It's also nice to have the ten gallon option as well.

Back