Big cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
Yooper, I am making hard cider and I add my fermentables in stages.
For example I pour out 16oz from my gallon of cider and then add a 12oz can of FAJC to bring the O.G. up to 1.070, and pitch my yeast and a small amount of nutrient. Anyway, when the hydro hits 1.004 or lower, I pour off 12oz, and add another can of FAJC two more times.
What my question is, will I get the same ABV that I would have gotten if all added in the beginning? I calculated a 1.120 equivalent O.G.. What do you think?

Yooper, I am making hard cider and I add my fermentables in stages.
For example I pour out 16oz from my gallon of cider and then add a 12oz can of FAJC to bring the O.G. up to 1.070, and pitch my yeast and a small amount of nutrient. Anyway, when the hydro hits 1.004 or lower, I pour off 12oz, and add another can of FAJC two more times.
What my question is, will I get the same ABV that I would have gotten if all added in the beginning? I calculated a 1.120 equivalent O.G.. What do you think?

Well, with an OG of 1.120, that's a BIG wine, not cider. Cider is a lower ABV drink, with a lot of apple flavor. I make apple wine every year also, but prefer the flavor of it at more like 1.090-1.100.

You should get the same ABV by adding it all at the beginning, but most yeast is happier starting with an OG under 1.110 and incremental feeding helps push the ABV while keeping the yeast working. Some yeast strains will go upwards of 18%, but most will peter out at 14% or so.

Yooper, you are right, that O.G. will make a BIG wine, except I am going to freeze concentrate it. I am trying a different method that I usually use, to see if I can get get more concentrate than I have been, but it also requires a higher proof in the beginning, and I wanted to verify if my calculations were correct. Thank you for your input once again.

Back