Big Bucket O honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 60LB bucket of honey, so I could make lots of meade :D

how the hell do you get the honey out without making a ton of mess? im sure its simple.... I was gonna take a large measuring cup and scooping it out bit by bit.... is this how yalls would do it?

Resign yourself to the fact that it will be messy! Everyone finds a method that works best for them but I use a large plastic stirring spoon to dig out the honey (because your 60 pounds will likely crystalize before you can use it all). I also use a large Pyrex 4-cup measuring cup sitting on a plate (to catch the drips and runs). I then add the honey directly to hot tap water to more easily get the honey into suspension (if I'm making mead right away), or use the measuring cup to fill quart jars.

I keep bees so I know a bit about the subject
if it crystallizes it works really well to put it in the trunk of your car on a hot day
just the right temp to re-liquefy
beekeepers all have a 5 gallon bucket with a valve on the bottom called a "honey gate"

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=873

you could put one of these in another bucket and after you take the honey out of the trunk it will be warm and pour it onto the bucket with the gate
no muss/no fuss:mug:

Dave

Back