Big Brew Day Stout Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clonefarmer

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Stout for Big Brew Day. This is the recipe I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Big Brew Day Stout
10 lb Pilsner
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
.5 lb Roasted Barley
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Willamette (4.5 AA%) at 60 for 37 IBU
Nottingham
150 mash target

I'm debating on bumping the base up to 12 lb Pilsner. Or dropping the Hops to 1 1/2 oz for 28 IBU to balance it a bit more.

Looks tasty to me. Do you just have a sack of pils? I'd tend to use Maris Otter or Pale, but it probably doesn't matter under the specialty malt.

I might back down on the honey malt (it can lend a real "worty" sweetness) and put the roasted barley a bit to make sure it is firmly in stout territory.

I think you are fine with the hops/malt balance as is, stouts can take quite a bit of bitterness.

Good luck.

Looks tasty to me. Do you just have a sack of pils? I'd tend to use Maris Otter or Pale, but it probably doesn't matter under the specialty malt.

I might back down on the honey malt (it can lend a real "worty" sweetness) and put the roasted barley a bit to make sure it is firmly in stout territory.

I think you are fine with the hops/malt balance as is, stouts can take quite a bit of bitterness.

Good luck.

I do have a sack of Pils and I'm running low on Pale malt.

I bumped the IBU from last time I brewed this recipe so I was a little worried it would be too much.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back