Big Brew Day OGs Wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently looking into the Big Brew Day recipes provided by the AHA at http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/national-homebrew-day/recipes.

When I tried to adjust the DME vs. LME proportions to account for packaging (rounding off so I wouldn't have to measure out small quantities of extract) my numbers kept coming out funny. It seems that, on all three of the extract versions of these recipes, the expected OGs are very high for the amount of extact they list. I am using the numbers that Briess provides for their light LME, DME, and Wheat extracts.

Can someone check this out for me and tell me if I am retarded or if there is a mistake in the calculated original gravities of these extract recipes?

I just ran one of the extract recipes through ProMash (Rocket Rod's Porter) and I get 1.070 OG. They claim 1.068. That's a small difference and is likely related to the fact that I have 75% efficiency put in for the grains. A simple steep in a bag might not get that 75%, so I can see 1.068 just because of that difference.

ProMash says Briess DME is 1.046 gravity for 1 lb in 1 gallon.
Checked Briess website, and I see that they claim 1.045 gravity for 1 lb in 1 gallon.

So, things seem fine to me here.

Walker, can you check the IPA recipe for me. I don't have software on hand.

8.25lb of LME should yeald an OG of 1.056 assuming 36ppg of Briess LME and assuming only a small increase from the 1/2 lb. buscuit and 1/2 lb. Crystal 55. (8.25 x 36=297/5.3 gal=56.04 or 1.056)

However, if I were to assume that the 8.25 lbs of LME was DME, I would get: 8.25 x 45=371.25/5.3 gal =70 or 1.070

Yeah, that IPA one isn't right. they either have the gravity listed incorrectly or the amount of extract listed incorrectly.

Back