Big Blowoff Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I'm using WLP005 Bristish Ale yeast for the first time on a decent sized smoked porter. All is well but my fermentation is so vigorous that its blowing foam out of the top of a gallon water jug. My question is, when you have a big blowoff like this do you lose alot of yeast in the blowoff foam?

Also I read that WLP005 has a optimum temp range of 65-70 degrees. I also read that it can be forgiving to slightly higher temps. Right now I'm fermenting in the range of 72-73 and was wondering if I will end up with alot of off flavors that will upset this smoked porter?

Thanks for any info.

weetodd

Reaction score
You will lose some yeast from the blow off, but not enough to be concerned with. It happens.

As for your temps, I think you will be fine. A couple of degrees is probably not going to make a difference. I would be there will be some yeast profile that is created vs. if you fermented at 65, but I would be surprised if it upset your beer.

WAdamC

Reaction score
I used this in a special bitter and fermented around 72-74. It has so much banana you might think you were drinking a hefeweizen. I'd do my best to stay under 70.