Big beers using RIMS BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg1414

Reaction score
Hi all, I am not familiar with using a rims system, but my cousin has a new one and we are doing an imperial oatmeal stout on an upcoming trip. I know for my setup (10g cooler) I was anticipating a 10% or so drop in efficiency for this big beer (1.10 og). My cousin has the high gravity brewing RIMS BIAB setup and I was wondering what efficiency I might plan for this beer on his system? I thought I saw where that system only got 60% efficiency for normal beers if anyone could verify that.? thanks

High Gravity RIMS BIAB? I suspect it is their BIAB system you are talking about, as I cannot find a RIMS tube on their site. Generally speaking, RIMS and BIAB are two separate mashing methods, with RIMS using a RIMS tube to maintain temperature, and BIAB being directly fired in a single vessel.

That said, while you are correct that larger grain bills can drop efficiency, there is no reason why one cannot achieve high efficiency numbers with BIAB. BIAB allows a finer crush, which can lead to higher efficiency. I typically get 80-85% on my gas fired BIAB system. For a big beer like that I would expect somewhere around 70-75%. The real constraint IME for a big beer on a single-vessel BIAB is kettle size. E.g., I have a 15 gal kettle, and with a 26 lb grain bill I can yield a 6 gal batch at 75% efficiency, without a sparge.

Hope this helps.

That's a direct heat electric system....not RIMS. Like the other poster said, all things being equal, you can get the same efficiency out of a BIAB system as a traditional brewing, even in a big brew.

I have a recirculating BIAB system, and the recirculation does bump the efficiency a bit. The electric really has nothing to do with efficiency.

One of the reasons you hear sometimes that it is difficult to get good efficiency out of BIAB batches is just because it is difficult to "squeeze" as much high gravity wort out of a 15+lb bag than it is a 10-12lb bag, so you tend to lose more wort to the grain in a big, heavy BIAB grist.

I do 5-5.5 gallon BIAB batches, recirculate, double mill my grain, and use direct heat propane. My last batch was a 13.5 lbs of grain Baltic Porter with a OG of 1.08, and I hit 78% efficiency and expect about 7.9% ABV.

Some people that do bigger batch BIAB will mash with partial volume , pull the bag, and actually do a sparge of 170F water through the bag to wash the grain and complete the volume prior to the boil. It's an extra step, but will help with that big batch efficiency by rinsing more wort from the grain.

Back