Big Beers, Legal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloguy

Reaction score
I am a fan of Big Beers, ie, IPAs and Dopplebocks. My question is : With the federal limit of alcohol being 5% by weight or 6.3% ABV, are we as homebrewers strictly limited to certain styles ? The BJCP chart shows some styles completely over and above these alcohol limits.
Has anyone who has entered brewing competitions ever entered a beer over the 6.3% ABV ? If so, how is this possible ? I'm just curious about the legality of brewing my favorite beers. Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's actually no Federal limit for beers, or really anything that isn't distilled. Various local and state laws may limit ABV (Utah comes to mind), but as far as homebrewing goes, the Feds don't limit you.

Check out these resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

ABV here in Utah is only limited to convenience/grocery store beer (3.2%ABW so ~4% ABV) and beer on tap (6% ABV, IIRC). There are no limits for bottled beer we buy at state liquor stores or for brewing your own.

We can buy the 9% abv beers but are not allowed to brew them. :(

Arkansas Home Brew Laws

Arkansas has both Wet and Dry counties and municipalities. The state places great control on alcoholic beverages.The semi-recent enactment of Senate Bill 636 on April 10, 1995 is a concise amendment to various Arkansas statutes allowing the home production of beer. The production of home brewed beer is subject to age, quantity, use, and alcoholic percentage constraints. The issue of possible taxation on such beer is not addressed by the recent statutory amendments.
Home manufactures of beer in quantities not to exceed two hundred (200) gallons per year shall be exempt as provided in 3-5-205(f)(2) and 3-5-207(b) from the permit requirements for the manufacture of beer and shall not be prosecuted for brewing or manufacturing beer without a permit.
"Home brewed" means beer made from malted barley, wheat or cereal grains or any substitute therefore and having an alcoholic content not in excess of five percent (5%) by weight,or (6.3%) A.B.V brewed for consumption by the manufacturer and his or her family and guests but not for sale. Provided any manufacture of home brewed beer must have attained the age of twenty-one (21) years of age.

You didn't know that you are suppose to send in samples of every brew (pre and post fermentation) so the homebrew police can take hydrometer readings and document your beers ABV?

I think the chances that someone is going to bust down your door and start testing the alcohol content of your homebrew is probably pretty slim.

Well then. It appears to be illegal.

...now if your hydrometer were to be inaccurate...

Well that is a cruddy little addition they slipped in... Would it be legal to not take a OG and FG reading? Just saying you got too good with your process and stopped using the Hydro.

I think the chances that someone is going to bust down your door and start testing the alcohol content of your homebrew is probably pretty slim.

+1 they will be watching you for other things that got their attention before taking you in for ABW violations.

robert-heinlein-i-am-free.jpg

I've heard from some beer geeks with stores that because Ohio limits to 13% that certain breweries will brew batches with less process controls (i.e. no gravity readings as mentioned above) so they can say it's acceptable. But if you open a bottle from our neighbors to the north and a bottle legally sold in Ohio they are identical as far as gravity. Not saying it's legit, just pointing out what some others have been known to do.

Sounds like a relocation is in order!! Move yourself from that locale, or ship that beer out of that locale....to me.

Back