BIG BEERS in the RoboBrew\Brewzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipp107

Brew Brothers of Pike Peaks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing an Ole Ale that has 22lbs grain for a 5g batch. I found this idea on FaceBook and thought this is brilliant!

Has anyone here tried this? I thought about punching a hole through the lid and running a hose with a sparge spay tip on it. I figured this would help keep the temp.

Thanks in advance!

131207755_2466506853643802_4814925107561684380_n.jpg

Give it a shot and let us know - I’m in the same boat, just brewed 2 batches that had a big grain bill.

First was just over 19# - did it all in the kettle, was tough, efficiency was low but not horrible, not much trouble. I did mash for an extra 30 min.

second was 23# - I decided to do 17 in the kettle, and 6 biab. Kettle mash was ok, biab was a pain but seemed to work fine. Missed og by a ton. Time to reevaluate that one lol.

Looking at upgrading to 65l unit just for some big brews, but it’s just a year old, so for now I’m sticking to sub 18# brews. Maybe I’ll get some partial extract ones.

Look up reiterative brewing. It works way better than trying to mash a single huge mash. Tip: because the wort is so high in the second mash, it will tend to get sticky. I recommend some rice hulls in the 2nd grain bill.

20210116_214156.jpg

This was my first reiterative mash. I could have hit 1.120 quite easily. Used 30 pounds (2 x15lb mashes) to yield 8 gallons of 1.095. I did 2x 1.5 hour mashes. Efficiency was 70%. The second mash will convert very quickly because the wort from the first mash is full of enzymes.

Back