Big beer without starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I didn't plan well, and didn't make a starter for a big beer I brewed (OG 1.080, FG 1.012-20), and pitched my yeast (Wyeast 1214) about 3 hours after smacking it...

Do you think it will ferment out on its own? I've agitated it over the past few days, trying to rouse the yeast as much as possible.

What should I do? :confused:

Is it fermenting now? If so, all you can do is wait. If it finishes high you could re-pitch some yeast then.

It slowed down, and then I pitched an extra ~8oz of Demerara sugar to perk it back up. The airlock is still bubbling (though it has slowed down a lot), but I know that's not a reliable measure. I think I'll take a hydrometer reading in a day or two. If it's much higher than 1.025, then I may re-pitch. One of my concerns is that 1214 can only withstand about 9% ABV, and my wort may yield more than that. Also, my aeration may not have been optimal. I have some 3944 (which can withstand higher ABVs), so I could make a starter and use some of it for the Tripel, and some of it for my next brew (a Belgian Wit).

What do you think?

Along these lines, I was planning on brewing a 1.060 OG brew using Wyeast 1272. I didn't have a chance to make a starter & I won't be home until the morning of my planned brewday on Tues. Do you think I can get away with pitching straight from the pack, or should I make a starter on Tues for a Friday brewday?

Make the starter on Tuesday. Odds are it will still be fermenting a bit. It's better to have lots of yeast that are done fermenting than a little bit of yeast that just got woken up.

I've used 1214 for beers up to 12% without any problems. From what I have read, 1214 can withstand higher alcohol than 3944. I haven't tried 3944 with a beer that big and don't know that I want to. Anyways, if it does finish high, I would make a big starter and dump that in, but don't aerate the wort then. That will lead to oxidation.

Back