Big Beer - When to Rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I’m not sure when to rack this beer. I’ve recently started brewing big beers, and I’m finding things go a little differently.

Currently have a Belgian been fermenting for 10 days now – it’s still fermenting but now down to 1 bubble per 12 seconds. It should come out to over 9% so I was expecting it to go a while – but should I wait longer before racking?

With smaller beers – usually signs of fermentation were gone after 5-6 days. How long should a big beer like this take? Last one I made was an IPA and when I racked it – it stopped fermenting and the final SG was a bit higher than I expected – but it came out pretty good.

Ian

Sounds like a Belgian Strong. I have several bottles left that I brewed in Dec-03. Check your gravity but I wouldn't let it go past 12 days before racking to secondary. All of my Stong Belgian recipes say to primary for 7 days or until fermentation slows.

Good luck,
Wild

Go ahead and rack it now. A big beer like that could take weeks or months to finish up and mellow to a nice flavor. Usually with big beers, the longer the better.

Cheers :D

Back