big beer time table ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
just got done reading a few threads on the longer time it takes bigger beers to ferment and condition. my pipeline just got clogged. the last three batches i brewed are bigger than your usual ales but not huge. is there a timetable someone would care to post as a guideline for different gravities ?

like a typical ale is at least 1-2-3 (more like 2-2-4 or simply 3-3)

1.050 beers = 4-4-8 (or 4-8 4-12 ?)

bigger than 1.050 = ??????

Get yourself a Northern Brewer Print catalog (I guess even on the website) their kits all have different time tables. (they will say like drinkable in 3 months with two stage fermentation.)

It's a good rough guide.... The website does it as well...(here's the first page...they start at 4 weeks and goes upwards.

NORTHERN BREWER: Ale Kits (Extract)

But the easiest answer, in terms of bottle carbonation/conditioning is "if it ain't ready in 3 weeks" try it in a couple more...

If you are looking for some quick turnovers look at British milds...and hefe's you can get away with bottling them shortly after fermentation stops (7-10 days or so)...but that won't mean that they still won't need 3 or more weeks at 70 to carb and condition.

thanks revvy. i really need to get my supplies from them. the "brewers best" kits i buy locally are not cool now that i know more ! they are stored at room temp before purchase (yeast and hops) and they provide no such info as "northern brewer" does !

It's a good rough guestimate, but always remember you are dealing with living micro organisms, they have their own agendas...Your best bet is to plan longer, and not be worried if it's not ready...I leave my beers in primary for a month and bottle, and hope they will be drinkable after 3 weeks, but usually it takes a little longer, especially if, like now, my Loft is only in the 60's I haven't had any beers carbed in three weeks...

And I ain't worried. :D

Back