big beer time, big beer questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
In particular, my question relates to starters. I have an Imperial Stout (o.g. 1.096) planned for tomorrow and I need to know if what I am seeing on mrmalty.com is correct.

I have a single pack of yeast. It says that, with the yeast I am using (prod date of 6/6/2011), I need an 8.12 liter starer! Am I using the calculator correctly? Also, I don't think I understand how much DME to use. According to what I've read, it's 100 grams per liter?

Seems like an awfully big starter and an awful lot of dme.

Thanks in advance...

That's 2.2 Gallons of starter. Sounds WAY too high.

Based on the info you've given, I got 3.27 liters of a starter (through mrmalty).

I was assuming liquid yeast and 5.25 Gallons of beer.

Are my assumptions correct?

The 5.25 gallons is correct. I used the 'growth factor' slider to adjust for 1 at 'vials or packs needed at starter', because that's what I have on hand...

I suppose worst case scenario is to put the brew off until Sunday and hit the LHBS tomorrow morning for another pack.

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale. The recipe originally called for London Ale but, the LHBS was out. I guess that makes this an Irish stout... :)

I was tinkering with the calculator a bit. I'm thinking even with the addition of another pack, I'm going to be underpitched if I brew tomorrow. Given that my current pack is at 84% viability, it has 84B cells. The addition of a fresh pack, at 100% viability, would give me 184B cells. According to mrmalty, in order for me to fully ferment this batch (o.g. 1.096) I need at least 340B cells.

Would it even be possible for them (the yeast) to propogate from 184B to 340B cells in 24 hours? Or, am I looking at having to pitch 3 packs in order to get what the recipe calls for...?

Or, am I, as usual, completely overthinking this...

don't overthink. I would definitely recommend pitching two packs, but I would make a starter, even if it's 24 hours (or less). Making a start will always help boost the cell count. Underpitching is obviously not ideal, but it just means that it will take a bit longer for fermentation to kick in.

RDWHAHB

Yeah, I think that's what I have resolved to doing. For starters, I have always used the '3/4 cup water / 1/4 cup DME' method and haven't had an issue. But, I'm looking to 'up my game' a bit.

thanks...

In particular, my question relates to starters. I have an Imperial Stout (o.g. 1.096) planned for tomorrow and I need to know if what I am seeing on mrmalty.com is correct.

I have a single pack of yeast. It says that, with the yeast I am using (prod date of 6/6/2011), I need an 8.12 liter starer! Am I using the calculator correctly? Also, I don't think I understand how much DME to use. According to what I've read, it's 100 grams per liter?

Seems like an awfully big starter and an awful lot of dme.

Thanks in advance...

I brewed a barleywine a two weeks ago with an OG of 1.082 and used a starter (a 1qt jar) with one pack of nottingham ale from wyeast with 5 tablespoons DME. I let the starter ferment out for 3 days, siphoned the few cups of wort off of the sediment, then I pitched the slurry. It worked great. My blow-off tube looked like a volcano. I am still getting co2 bubbles about once per minute or every two minutes.

I know it sucks to wait the extra time to brew, but its worth it.

Back