Big Beer techniques and guidance needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
I have two questions regarding big beers:

1) I have a Belgian Quad with a SG of 1.106. After 5 weeks it is sitting at 1.030. The alcohol is present and so is the sweetness from the caramel is present. Is this a normal FG for a big beer or should it have attenuated more?

2) I purchased Lavlin EC-1118 Champagne yeast for carbing. I have never had to do this before since this is my first big beer. Is there sometype of calculation or rule for how much fresh yeast slurry needs to be added for a batch?

As always, I appreciate any insight & tips.

You could always pitch some Wyeast 3711 in there to chew up some of those last gravity points. I've never had anything with 3711 finish over 1.010. Just made a Belgian imperial stout with SG of 1.092 and 3711 brought it down to 1.006 without a problem. It will chew through just about anything you throw at it, and most of your flavor characteristics have already been imparted by your first yeast by this point (even though 3711 would be just fine in a quad as well).

Can you post your recipe and amount of yeast pitched? If this was AG, please also post your mash schedule. 1.030 is high for a Belgian style beer. Belgian beers are known for being drinkable; they tend to finish on the drier side.

I had a 1.107 Belgian Dark Strong crap out about 1.045. Added Safebrew S-33 that I had around and it's back at work now.

The EC-1118 will be good for bottle priming, about 4 grams should be good for a 5 gallon batch.

Yeah I can post the brew specs when I get home and have access to do so. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact amount of yeast I used; it was washed WLP3787 and I used 5 mason jars worth. (Very calibrated measuring system).

Thanks for the bottling yeast amount as well.

It sounds like you used enough yeast. Maybe you mashed too high? In that case the beer might be done.

I forgot to get that recipe and brew specs last night. Some RL stuff came up so my apologies. Below is the recipe:

10 lbs. Pilsner malt
2 lbs. Munich
2 lbs. Piloncilo
4 lbs. Amber DME

caramelize 1 lb of sugar & 1 lb of malt (used DME). Once caramelized add to the boil.

1 oz. styrian 60 min.
1.5 oz. saaz 15 min.

I mashed at 152°F for 75 minutes. It's been fermenting at 72°F and getting up to 76°F. I am thinking it is done as well. I have stirred the yeast up about 1 1/2 week ago. the gravity was the same this morning

Looks like a fair amount of carmelized sugars in there, so it might not get to really low FG. Still it's 3787 and I strongly bet it has more to go. I've had 3787 restart in secondary or the bottle unexpectedly. If you really wanted to chunk through those last 15 points, I would make a small starter with 3787, say 1-2 quarts. Lightly hop it if you want. When the starter has been at high krausen for 8 hours or so, pitch into a sanitized carboy. Rack your Quad on top of that and keep in the upper 60's/low 70's for an additional 2 months.

I had this work for a RIS and it chewed an additional 16 points in secondary with the active starter. Went from being slightly high for an RIS to almost too low.

There is and I was wondering if that affected the FG as well. First time using andy caramelized anything in a beer.

Thank you for the sound advice. It is much appreciated.

Back