Big Beer - Little Beer question (Parti-Gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyg42

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This my first post on Homebrewtalk but thanks for all the information you have given me so far. I started brewing with a Mr. Beer kit in early October. I loved it and quickly purchased a better kit and started doing standard kits. I moved on to doing my own extract recipes and then to all grain. Although I have done 4 all grain brews, I'm still very green so excuse anything stupid I might say.

I just purchased a used brew stand with (15 gallon kegs) hot liquior tank, mash tun and brew kettle. I wanted to break it in right and do a Parti-Gyle beer. My plan is to make a Imperial stout and a Southern English Ale with the second runnings. My question is I planned on doing a single infusion mash and fly sparge with the stout. How should I do the second runnings? Should I continue to do the fly sparge until i get a second 6.5 gallons or do another batch sparge, let it rest for 10 mins then start the second runnings with a fly sparge? Thanks!

I had seen that Brew TV. That is the episode that gave me the idea of doing a second runnings. I did it. I had a little too much home brew that day and thank God for my awesome brewing partner (my wife), we pulled it off. They are bubbling away and my Imperial needed a blowoff. I'll let you know how they turned out when they finish up.

I, too, have taken the "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" advice a little too much to heart. Usually, it results in my notes being less than complete. Once, I missed getting the OG.

Look forward to hearing about your brews!

I asked this question last week and got mixed responses. I decided not to try it until I researched it a little more. From what I have gathered so far, it seems that you do not sparge the first beer. The sparge is basically the second runnings for your second beer. So the higher gravity beer you do first is usually a smaller batch.

Back