Big Ace Sack Run - Opinion request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

beershere

Reaction score
I'm running out of grain, looking to stock up. Plan to buy 4 big ass sacks. I have determined 3 but can't decide on a fourth. Any advice on what you think would fit best with these would be much appreciated. What would you choose?

1. 2-Row
2. Pilsner
3. Wheat
4. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
Munich. Can be used both as a small percentage of a grain bill, or all of it.

beergolf

Reaction score
Depends on what you like to brew.

Marris Otter could be another good choice.

OP
B

beershere

Reaction score
I am glad to see Munich here as it was my first thought as well. Are there any tried and true recipes you have that include Munich? The 2 I have found are a Dunkel and Oktoberfest. Though I can't seem to locate any other standard beer types that use Munich as a large portion.

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
I will substitute munich for 2 row in a recipe when I'm in the mood for a bit of something different. I'll just take a recipe I've brewed a few times before and make it with munich, instead. Totally changes the entire experience of the beer. Pale ales and ambers are a good fit for the munich switch. Not at all within style, but tasty brews, nonetheless.

Bocks and alts are styles that can use a good bit of munich, more traditionally.

Brettomomyces

LHBS Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've been working on an american red ale that uses munich for about 40%, don't have the exact recipe at work but it was something like this (11 gallon batch).

10# pale malt
8# Munich
.75# C40
.75# C80
.25# Roasted Barley

1oz Chinook FWH
1oz each Chinook, Columbus, Cascade 30 minute hop stand at flameout
1oz each Dry hop 1 week

Munich has this a very unique flavor and in small amounts can compliment the flavors or can really provide a big malty flavor in larger doses.

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
I'd go with Vienna.

I'm running out of grain, looking to stock up. Plan to buy 4 big ass sacks. I have determined 3 but can't decide on a fourth. Any advice on what you think would fit best with these would be much appreciated. What would you choose?

1. 2-Row
2. Pilsner
3. Wheat
4. ?