Biere de Garde or a Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
I was planning on doing a Biere de Garde I put the malt bill together based on that recipe however the store was out of any similar farmhouse strains. I picked up a vial of the WLP 510 Bastonge strain. I've never used it so with this grain bill and recipe would it end up closer to a dubbel then a Biere de Garde?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1694029

I might call it a Belgian Dark Strong, with that gravity.

Incidentally, I don't know that either the yeast you got or the farmhouse yeast you were looking for would have gotten you something that the BJCP would consider a Biere de Garde. While it may have been a rustic beer in the past, the modern examples that the BJCP uses to define the style tend to be clean- they generally recommend a neutral European Ale yeast or a lager yeast at slightly elevated temps. So in a way, it probably would have more in common with the beers in the amber hybrid subsection than the Belgian and French ale subsection.

All that said, if you end up with a great beer, who cares what style it is?

Yah, screw the categories. The pilsener and high % of sugars put you in Abbey/Trappist style, but you're a little too high in OG to be a dubbel; the variety of malts put you in a farmhouse/Belgian catch-all area; the yeast is the Orval yeast, which is really in its own category; and you're using an English-style hop (Willamette is interchangeable with Fuggle)--so, congratulations, you have just brewed something unique. Enjoy!

It's nowhere close to a biere de garde, and way too complicated for a dubbel. If you want to make a biere de garde, you need a different yeast and modified malts. If you want to make a dubbel, you'll want a lower gravity, probably less sugar, no american crystal, no cara pils, and way less hops.

It's nowhere close to a biere de garde, and way too complicated for a dubbel. If you want to make a biere de garde, you need a different yeast and modified malts. If you want to make a dubbel, you'll want a lower gravity, probably less sugar, no american crystal, no cara pils, and way less hops.

The recipe I pulled actualyl called for caramunich so just subbed out for pils. But gonna roll with it and see what comes out it was a very ad hock recipe.

Back