Bier Munchers Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I had this posted under the Centennial Blonde topic, but I thought that I would move it over here for more visibility. I did change some of the numbers from my original post.

I am going to brew this beer most likely in the next week or so. I gotta try a beer that has 37 pages written about it. I have read ALL of them. I am brewing extract as this is my 2nd brew.

I took the numbers that BM gave for a 5.5 gallon all-grain batch and put them in Brewsmith. His boil size for the 5.5 gallon batch is 6.57 gallons. I am looking to brew a 5.5 gallon batch with a 2.75 gallon boil. This is what Beersmith came out with after I converted Bier Munchers all grain recipe to an extract.

4.48 lb. Extra Light Dry Extract

11.56 lb. Cara Pils

.36 Caramel/Crystal Malt-10L

.39 oz. Centennial 45 min

.39 oz. Centennial 20 min

.39 Cascade 10 min

.39 Cascade 5 min

1 pks Nottingham

The color, according to Brewsmith is coming out much darker then the origianl all grain recipe. I am new to Brewsmith so I am not quite sure I am inputing the numbers correctly. I am hoping someone can run the numbers and see what they come up with.

Thanks for any input.

The recipe you posted looks somewhat approximate, though you will want 0.75lb of cara-pils and 0.50lb of crystal 10L for a 5+ gallon batch. If you are worrying about the color, do late additions for most of the extract. Other than that, just hop appropriately for the IBU's and you should be fine.

BierMuncher posted a 5 gallon extract version of his recipe. Its at the bottom of page #1 of his recipe topic: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

why not just use that ?

Correct me if I am missing something, but in his 5.5 gallon ALL GRAIN recipe he has a 6.57 gallon boil. My brewpot is only 19 quarts. So, I cannot do a 6.57 gallon boil.

So, what do I do? Do I input all of his numbers in brewsmith. Then where it says near the top "TYPE" change that to EXTRACT, then change the boil size to 2.75 gallons and be done with it?

Maybe I am making this more difficult then it really is. I don't know.

I find it very mean to call Bier Muncher a "BM" as he has great posts/pics and seems to know what he is doing:)

Correct me if I am missing something, but in his 5.5 gallon ALL GRAIN recipe he has a 6.57 gallon boil. My brewpot is only 19 quarts. So, I cannot do a 6.57 gallon boil.

So, what do I do? Do I input all of his numbers in brewsmith. Then where it says near the top "TYPE" change that to EXTRACT, then change the boil size to 2.75 gallons and be done with it?

Maybe I am making this more difficult then it really is. I don't know.

Look at the last post on the page here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

That is his extract recipe (probably just a convert from beersmith or promash).

Remeber when you add the hops to adjust your AA appropriately. Now, put all that into Beersmith, and up at the top click the 'scale' button. Uncheck the 'Fix boil size based on equipment' checkbox, and change the boil size to 2.75

You should end up with something like:
5.5lb extra light dry extracy
1.1lb carapils
.5 oz centennial (45 min)
.5 oz centennial (20 min)
.5 oz cascade (10 min)
.5 oz cascade (5 min)
1 pkn danstar nottingham

To convert an all-grain recipe to extract, put in the AG recipe, and up at the top click 'convert' and choose the appropriate options, dont just change the 'type' dropdown.

Look at the last post on the page here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

That is his extract recipe (probably just a convert from beersmith or promash).

Remeber when you add the hops to adjust your AA appropriately. Now, put all that into Beersmith, and up at the top click the 'scale' button. Uncheck the 'Fix boil size based on equipment' checkbox, and change the boil size to 2.75

You should end up with something like:
5.5lb extra light dry extracy
1.1lb carapils
.5 oz centennial (45 min)
.5 oz centennial (20 min)
.5 oz cascade (10 min)
.5 oz cascade (5 min)
1 pkn danstar nottingham

To convert an all-grain recipe to extract, put in the AG recipe, and up at the top click 'convert' and choose the appropriate options, dont just change the 'type' dropdown.

A big thank you!

A light colored beer like this will definitely call for late extract addition. Only put about 2 lbs of the DME in at the beginning of the boil and add the remainder at or near flame-out. You will get better hops utilization and lighter color.

FWIW I made this recipe using a late extract addition with
2 lb Extra light DME
.75 lb Carapils
.5 lb Crystal 10

.25 oz centennial (60 min)
.25 oz centennial (30 min)
.25 oz cascade (20 min)
.25 oz cascade (5 min)

3 lb Extra light DME (1 min)

and was very pleased.

Latest posts

Back