Bier de Garde Yeast - German Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I plan to brew a lighter derivation of Jamil's Bier de Garde recipe. My LHBS is awesome, but doesn't carry Jamil's yeast (European Ale).

I've been searching the forums, and haven't seen any references to using German Ale (WY 1007). I've enjoyed brewing Blonde Ales and Alts with this in the past, and think it might fit with the profile I'm looking for.

Anyone used either Wyeast or White Labs version of this for a Bier de Garde style? Or any experiences to share using it on a similar higher gravity hybrid ale? Not attenuating enough would be my biggest concern (it's supposed to go from 1.075 SG to 1.010 FG) - however, I plan to help that cause with 1lb cane sugar and a low mash temp of 149F.

I actually have the Wyeast Bier de Garde yeast, but from reading reviews it sounds like it's more of a Saison-style yeast. That's not what I'm going for. Looking for a malty, yeast-neutral beer.

Here's the recipe I'm starting with for a 5 gallon batch - 80% efficiency:

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.00 %
2.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.33 %
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
1.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale with 2L stir plate starter

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Bitterness: 20.5 IBU
Est Color: 6.9 SRM

Mash 60 minutes at 149 F.

I have lots of US 2-row on hand, so have subbed it for Pils malt. On past beers, I've noticed that I can sub a little extra Vienna or Munich with 2-row to give the beer a Pilsner-like baseline.

1007 is what I use for my Biere de Garde's. I have done several using it. I would have to look at my brew log to see what the attenuation was, but as I recall it was pretty good.

Cool - thanks, Beergolf.

Anyone's notes on how much simple sugar they used (if any), mash temp, and attenuation with 1007 is appreciated.

Just checked. The last two Biere de Garde's using 1007 went from 1.066 to 1.012. Mashed at 152 and used no sugar. Both very nice brews.

Awesome. Thanks. Sounds like I should be plenty dry with a lower mash temp and 1lb cane sugar.

The Bier de garde with WY 1007 went pretty well - just kegged it today after 3 weeks in primary.

I only mashed for 60 minutes and didn't get as much SG as I'd intended. SG was 1.070, FG was 1.008. Started fermentation at 64 degrees for 3 days and had a very quick and aggressive fermentation - then let it ramp up to 70 degrees days 4+.

Hydro sample was pretty great. Planning to leave it lagering for several weeks before I pull my first pint.

The lagering is finally starting to pay off. I tried it in early July, and it had a little bit of a bite to it - but it has finally become much more smooth after lagering the last 3 months. I'll do this yeast and grain bill again.

Back