Biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylefree

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my homebrewing to BIAB but the kits that I find on Northern Brewer and Etsy only go up to 3 gallon yields.
I'm still new to brewing and I have read that a much larger kettle is needed to BIAB to yield for a 5 gallon batch, or am I just confused?

In my mind if the BIAB yields 3 gallons, then that would be about right for the wort and begin the boil from what I understand. Can someone aid me in understand this?

With BIAB, you are doing all grain. In order to fully rinse the grains of the sugars you'll create during the mash step, you're going to end up with between 6 or 7 gallons pre boil.
You really can't get good eff% with a partial boil in all grain brewing.

I have a 9 gallon boil kettle, that definitely doesn't seem like I will have enough space in the kettle for all that water and all that grain

You could be fine. I do BIAB in 7 gallon turkey friers... But I have 2. I mash in 1. Rinse grain in about 3 gallons in the second, then pour together.
Also, just do a 3 or 4 gallon batch. Problem solved!

Oh well then I do agree that I could be fine - I think if I use 6 gallons of water then I can properly steep all my grains to make a 5 gallon batch. Do you know if 3 gallon yield kits would work for me then? or should I just make my own grail bill to fulfill my needs for a 5 gallon batch in my 9 gallon boil pot?

I used to do 19 liter (5 gallon) batches in a 36 liter (9.5 gallons) pot on the stove. Worked like a charm, only problem was that the pot was so damn big it barely fit under the stove fan.

Search for a BIAB calculator or use a program like Beersmith or Brewmate to get a good idea of what you can do.

Onihige said:
Search for a BIAB calculator or use a program like Beersmith or Brewmate to get a good idea of what you can do.

Solid advice!
If you're looking for a first... Kits work well, and 3 gallons is easy to work with!
From there, hit the recipe section.

Well I will look into the calculations and I hope that a kit, such as the cascadian dark from Northern Brewer will work well for me to make a 5 gallon batch of a delicious home brew!

I think that would make a nice winter home brew as another home brew would be done around the time winter falls here in Chicago for me.

For BIAB you want about a 10 or 15 gallon kettle and a custom bag that fits in your kettle. Thats really all the equipment you need besides a propane burner to bring the entire 7 gallons of water or so that you will be using up to a boil. I won't buy a BIAB kit that only does 3 gallons. Go find yourself a 10 or 15 gallon kettle and then get a BIAB bag from custombiab.com or wilserbrewer. Or get some swiss voile fabric from a fabric store and sew it yourself.

Latest posts

Back