BIAB Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
After wasting money on several crappy thermometers, I'm looking to get a higher-quality one. I've been looking at the ChefAlarm and Thermapen. I'm also open to other options.

I know both of these are well regarded, but I was hoping for a pure BIAB perspective on this topic.

I do like the ability to know the temp without having to remove all of the insulation (blankets, towels, insulated bags), so that points me toward the ChefAlarm. I've also heard so many positive things about the speed and accuracy of the Thermapen, so I want to keep that on the list as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have this ThermoWorks with the wire probe...yes it is a little pricey but works great and I don't have to remove the lid to check the temp during mash.

This is the probe

Last edited:
I like having a probe thermometer for the reason you mentioned, not having to remove the insulation to see the mash temp. I also have the Thermapen, which works just fine. I don't know anything about ChefAlarm, just make sure it can be used in water (wort)

A question about thermometer probes in general... If you have the metal probe halfway in the mash, will the part that's in the air affect the temperature reading, or does it only measure the temperature at the very tip of the probe?

I got this one after my old feeble one helped me ruin a a batch. You can use the timer and thermometer simultaneously and I love the pot clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question about thermometer probes in general... If you have the metal probe halfway in the wort, will the part that's in the air affect the temperature reading, or does it only measure the temperature at the very tip of the probe?

Usually the part that does the actual measurement is in the 1st 1" of the probe tip.

After wasting money on several crappy thermometers, I'm looking to get a higher-quality one. I've been looking at the ChefAlarm and Thermapen. I'm also open to other options.

I know both of these are well regarded, but I was hoping for a pure BIAB perspective on this topic.

I do like the ability to know the temp without having to remove all of the insulation (blankets, towels, insulated bags), so that points me toward the ChefAlarm. I've also heard so many positive things about the speed and accuracy of the Thermapen, so I want to keep that on the list as well.

I've got both.
The Thermapen is portable and handy to have for cooking and grilling as well. Downsides for brewing is it's not really a leave it in there type device, and the electronics are close to the liquid in case it slips out of your hand.
Benefits of the chef alarm include the electronic part stays away from the liquid, a timer, hi and low temp alarms, and an assortment of probes. Avoid the needle sous vide probe for brewing-wort kills it after a while.
For both, you will really only get an accurate temp reading after stirring the mash to prevent temperature stratification, so you'll have to remove the lid either way.
Obviously, if you are recirculating, this doesn't apply.
The superfast reading is more critical for cooking.

I got this one after my old feeble one helped me ruin a a batch. You can use the timer and thermometer simultaneously and I love the pot clip.

That one has crapped out on me twice. I use both of these:

Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IH0BZ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Lavatools Javelin Digital Instant Read Food and Meat Thermometer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My measurements have them coming within 0.4° of one another - not bad at all! I've been using the Weber one for a while now, but I'm probably going to retire that and use it for cooking and use the Javelin for brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Thermapen is a must have item in my estimation. That is based as much on cooking as brewing. It's amazing for cooking meats. Getting the temp instantly is awesome for brewing too.

I've not used the chef alarm, but I do use one of their Dot devices. It is as reliable and accurate as the Thermapen. It's quite a bit less expensive.

I saw the dot was on sale, but I don't like that it only does whole number degrees.

I think you should ask yourself, why are you taking temp readings during the mash at any time other than the beginning and end? If you know your system, you should know what strike temp you need to start with and what temp you'll finish at. Opening things up to stir and take readings just makes you lose heat.

Also, unless you are recirculating it agitating the wort somehow, the probe thermometer dangling in the mash will only tell you the temperature at that specific spot. There will be temperature stratification and the reading keep will not be a representative average temp across the entire mash volume. I used to use a probe thermometer in the same way you're describing and it would cause mild panics when the temperature wasn't exactly what I wanted, being a few degrees high or low depending on its location.

My two cents, don't worry about getting a probe thermometer. Simplify your day by taking a reading at the beginning and end of the mash, nothing in between.

TexasWine is right. I open the insulation about half time during the mash to stir it, not because there is a need for that but because i get bored. I have a glass thermometer always inside the kettle during mashing and i can read the temperature after i stir it.
Another possible solution would be a probe thermometer that you can install on the kettle. I wont wory about the speed of measuring, things happen slowly in the mash. I visited a craft brewery that had a dial thermometer on their mashtun, as well as a pid unit for reading the temperature, and the brewer used the reading from the dial thermometer and not the digital reading from the control panel.

I use one of the rtc-600c. Reads quick enough for me and is water resistant. I ruined s couple probe thermometers by the wort getting into the probe. I stir and take temp at the beginning, stir at the halfway point and stir and take the temp at the end. Most important time of the mash is the first 15-20 min anyway.

Back