BIAB: sparge versus no sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beeb doing all grain for 2 years now and I am moving to doing some smaller sized stove top brews (2.5 gallon) using BIAB method. I was curious to know if anyone noticed different results in final taste and OG with BIAB when doing sparging or using all of the water up front? I have never done a no sparge brew before with all grain. So my options with my first recipe are:

1. Use all 3.5 gallons of water in the mashing up front.

2. Use 1.5 gallons of water for mashing and 2 gallons for sparging.

Any big difference in these results?

Just start with the full amount of water. After your mash, leave the bag in and raise the temperature to your suggested sparge temperature for the suggested time (example 170 for 10 minutes). You should stir during this time. Then pull the bag and let it drain. There is no need to use a second vessel unless your kettle cannot handle the volume. I am steady at 80-83% efficiency with this method.

Just start with the full amount of water. After your mash, leave the bag in and raise the temperature to your suggested sparge temperature for the suggested time (example 170 for 10 minutes). You should stir during this time. Then pull the bag and let it drain. There is no need to use a second vessel unless your kettle cannot handle the volume. I am steady at 80-83% efficiency with this method.

Thanks for the info. My kettle can handle the volume. Now I will see if my electric stove can handle heating 3.5 gallons of water to strike temp.

The stove can be the other part of the equation! I helped my friend brew his first all grain/BIAB on the stove (I brewed mine outside on my burner). We both brewed 1/2 batches of 2.75 gallons and started with 4.5 gallons. My gas stove takes a while to get it boiling... He has an electric stove and is looking at getting a canning element for it so he can get 3.5-4.0 gallons to boil.

I never thought about the possibility of using a different element for the stove top. I may have to look into this. We just learned this week that my wife is expecting or second child together and at her age of 43 they do not want her lifting anything over 15 lbs so I need to be around much more to watch our 2 year. Thus, my outdoor brewing days with a LP burner will be postponed for a while.

Made a mistake with the initial temp of the strike water. I went to 167 F like I usually do with all grain but forgot to account for ahving more than twice the hot water. My mash has been at 160-162 F for 45 minutes with the top off of the pot trying to get it to cool. I had hoped for it going to 154 F for the mash not 8 F higher. Any ideas of what this might do to the beer? Should I skip a mashout being higher temps for so long?

Back