BIAB SMaSH IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
I'm about to make my first batch of all grain beer. I found this recipe online and I was wondering what you guys thought of the ratios.

3 Gallon Batch
9lbs of Maris Otter
1oz Centennial for 60
2oz Centennial for 10
1oz Centennial for 1
Safale S-04

Beersmith says it will come out to 75.1 IBUs and 8.4 ABV. Sounds more like an Imperial to me, but maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note, I only have a 5 gallon pot, so I will not be able to do a full mash in the pot. Would it be better to mash in a bag in my cooler (not set up with a spout, just a cooler) and then transfer the preboil wort (roughly 4 gallons) to the pot or just mash with less water in the pot and add to it? I'm leaning towards the former.

Thoughts?

Your mashing plan sounds pretty good but I'd add a whole lot more hops at flameout and/or for dry hopping.

Was the recipe originally formulated for 5 gallons? If the 9lbs of grains was figured for a 5 gallon batch, you should scale down for the 3 gallons. That could be why the ABV is so high.

Yes dry hop for aroma. I'm not sure for a 3 gallon batch, but for 5 gallons I would suggest at least an ounce for dry hopping, maybe even 2. Also, I would do an ounce of hops at 5 min and probably another ounce at 0 min. Then again, I am a hophead, and still a fairly new brewer :p

It says it's for a 3 gallon. I don't mind a high ABV. Makes me go through it slower.

Back