BIAB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
I am an all extract brewing that wants to make a transition to All grain. After doing some research Ive found that biab is probably the friendliest method to start. I want to start with a small batch as I only have a 5 gallon stockpot (JUST ONE). I had the following questions and I hope you guys can help me :)

1- I only have 1 stockpot, so I am not able to use a second one for sparging at 170 degrees. I read somewhere that I can use my fermentor and add some hot water and do the sparge in there for 15 min and then transfer that back to the stockpot. is that ok? lol

2- To mantain the temperature of the mash infusion(150-155) can I use my oven to keep it warm? My stockpot fits there.

3- Whats the biggest volume recipe I can do with a 5 gal stockpot? I have never done a full boil so I am skeptical.

Thanks for your help guys, this forum has really helped me improve my skills :)

Why 'start' with BIAB? Make that your main method, as many others here have!

With BIAB, you don't have to do a sparge, but you could pour water over the bag to rinse, or just squeeze it.

Check if your oven temp goes that low, but most people without automatic temperature control simply wrap a blanket or winter jacket around their pot to minimize temp drop during the mash.

As far as batch size, I'm sure others will weigh in, but you could mash to near the top of the pot, then top up after you pull the bag to an amount that will allow for a nice boil without boiling over. I'm speculating though - I have a 15 gallon kettle so I don't worry about batch size.

Welcome to BIAB! Many people love the simplicity of the method.

1) can't say, personally
2) yes.
3) I would guess either 2.5 or 3 gallons, max.

1. You can do either a pour over sparge or a dunk sparge. I've had pretty good results doing sparges with cold water.

2. Oven may help hold temps, but I usually just wrap in a towel or blanket.

3. I've done batches up to 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, but that is really pushing it. Limiting factor is pre-boil volume. 4.25 gallon pre-boil with 0.75 gallon boil off nets close to 3.5 gallons. You really have to be careful at hot break that you don't have an boil over. Spray bottle and be ready to kill the heat.

Thank you guys for your help!
My oven goes to 170, so I can preheat it and turn it off when I put the stockpot in. And 3.5 is even better than what I expected, I guess 3 gallons should be good enough.
I will make this my main method eventually, for now I want to try this first and see how it goes. I havent felt so excited for a hobby before!

2.5 - 3 gallon batches should be pretty straightforward, you can do larger batches if you sparge, and also possibly top up the fermenter. Lesser ABV batches will permit larger batches.

There isn't really a simple answer to max batch size....example, you "could" do a 6 gallon batch in your 5 gallon kettle with lots of sparging and topping the fermenter. Don't try it just yet lol.

Fwiw, I wouldn't advise using your fermenter for dunk sparging for sanitary reasons....get a separate bucket for $5 or free.

1. You can do either a pour over sparge or a dunk sparge. I've had pretty good results doing sparges with cold water.

2. Oven may help hold temps, but I usually just wrap in a towel or blanket.

3. I've done batches up to 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, but that is really pushing it. Limiting factor is pre-boil volume. 4.25 gallon pre-boil with 0.75 gallon boil off nets close to 3.5 gallons. You really have to be careful at hot break that you don't have an boil over. Spray bottle and be ready to kill the heat.

According to this guy you can make a 5 gallons batch in a 5 gallons pot lol. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=352

Its kind of a lot to do and PUSHING IT a lot

All good advice above, and you can certainly put it in the oven after preheating and turning it off if you want to go that route. Just be warned that a 5 gallon pot when it's almost full is pretty heavy, and when the liquid is 150 degrees it's a bit hazardous.

Nothing wrong with doing smaller batch sizes, I've found 4 gallons to work for my two pot, stovetop BIAB system. Brewing in a tiny basement apartment makes one resourceful. Good luck with everything :mug:

Advice above is fine I think, I'll add my own 2c.

1. Assuming you do sparge at some point, and I wouldn't advise it until you have completed the stated objective of doing a small batch (suggest a 'full volume' BIAB, without a sparge), you don't need another stockpot, a simple bucket would suffice.
I'll be upfront and state that I'm the author of this guide, however would recommend the MiniBIAB method may be a useful technique for your first Stovetop BIAB batch, it is designed specifically for novice brewers and is very simple; see how you go after that, MaxiBIAB method discussed below.

2. Yes, you can, although its probably easier and involves less lifting to simply insulate the kettle with lagging, bedding what ever you have handy. Lots of folk do use the oven though, so what ever suits your circumstances best.

3. Depends on lots of factors, desired OG is just one, your heat source's capacity may be a limit too.

According to this guy you can make a 5 gallons batch in a 5 gallons pot lol. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=352

Its kind of a lot to do and PUSHING IT a lot
That's MaxiBIAB and again, with full disclosure, I happen to be the author of that particular Stovetop BIAB guide as well.
No, I disagree- its not necessarily pushing anything, provided you are comfortable with Stovetop BIAB beforehand, it is a logical extension of the process, that should be fairly clear from the guide but could be reiterated. Relatively speaking, its not a lot to do compared with other brewing methods, but given the constraints I believe it is quite an effective compromise.
FWIW and as an aside, that guide is starting to get dated, however it has stimulated many worthwhile discussions, some perhaps not quite so thoughtful, but the take home message should be that home brewers have a plethora of methods available to suit their own particular circumstances (e.g. kettle volume, indoor/ outdoor) but also their degree of motivation- some can't be bothered to do certain steps, some can. However, its worth bearing in mind that many home brewers have used that method with great success, even an Australian national title.

I'll second wilserbrewer's advice regarding a different sparge vessel, I'd avoid putting the mash (in the bag) into your fermenter if you can possibly find a different one. I shudder when I see folks doing this sort of thing as potential compromise of the fermenter in this way is just a recipe for later infection trouble IMO and likewise when folks strain cooled wort through a BIAB bag into the fermenter- both to be avoided in my opinion as the grist does contain a whole host of bugs that don't usually have a place in the ferment. However, its the individual brewer's decision in the end, if it works for you, then go for it I say.

Hope this helps!

Advice above is fine I think, I'll add my own 2c.

1. Assuming you do sparge at some point, and I wouldn't advise it until you have completed the stated objective of doing a small batch (suggest a 'full volume' BIAB, without a sparge), you don't need another stockpot, a simple bucket would suffice.
I'll be upfront and state that I'm the author of this guide, however would recommend the MiniBIAB method may be a useful technique for your first Stovetop BIAB batch, it is designed specifically for novice brewers and is very simple; see how you go after that, MaxiBIAB method discussed below.

2. Yes, you can, although its probably easier and involves less lifting to simply insulate the kettle with lagging, bedding what ever you have handy. Lots of folk do use the oven though, so what ever suits your circumstances best.

3. Depends on lots of factors, desired OG is just one, your heat source's capacity may be a limit too.

That's MaxiBIAB and again, with full disclosure, I happen to be the author of that particular Stovetop BIAB guide as well.
No, I disagree- its not necessarily pushing anything, provided you are comfortable with Stovetop BIAB beforehand, it is a logical extension of the process, that should be fairly clear from the guide but could be reiterated. Relatively speaking, its not a lot to do compared with other brewing methods, but given the constraints I believe it is quite an effective compromise.
FWIW and as an aside, that guide is starting to get dated, however it has stimulated many worthwhile discussions, some perhaps not quite so thoughtful, but the take home message should be that home brewers have a plethora of methods available to suit their own particular circumstances (e.g. kettle volume, indoor/ outdoor) but also their degree of motivation- some can't be bothered to do certain steps, some can. However, its worth bearing in mind that many home brewers have used that method with great success, even an Australian national title.

I'll second wilserbrewer's advice regarding a different sparge vessel, I'd avoid putting the mash (in the bag) into your fermenter if you can possibly find a different one. I shudder when I see folks doing this sort of thing as potential compromise of the fermenter in this way is just a recipe for later infection trouble IMO and likewise when folks strain cooled wort through a BIAB bag into the fermenter- both to be avoided in my opinion as the grist does contain a whole host of bugs that don't usually have a place in the ferment. However, its the individual brewer's decision in the end, if it works for you, then go for it I say.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for those advices! As I already brewed that batch, I will apply that next time. I provided a detailed description of what went on that day, if it is not too much trouble for you, I'd wish your insight as well. This is the link https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=573273

Oh and btw, thanks a lot for that guide, I will try it some time to make 5 gallon batches, I guess over time the process goes by more easily.

I do a similar system with a 4 gallon stockpot. I usually do a pour-over sparge using a collander. May not be the most efficient, but it is easy and relatively clean.

Yes, oven method is fine.

I boil 2.5 gallons in a 4 gallon stockpot. That is about as far as I am willing to go. I think you could do 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. I top off throughout the boil to maintain the level. I would not go higher for my first batch.

I do a similar system with a 4 gallon stockpot. I usually do a pour-over sparge using a collander. May not be the most efficient, but it is easy and relatively clean.

Yes, oven method is fine.

I boil 2.5 gallons in a 4 gallon stockpot. That is about as far as I am willing to go. I think you could do 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. I top off throughout the boil to maintain the level. I would not go higher for my first batch.

I already did it. 3.5 gallons with an OG of 1.052 and 70% efficiency :)

I have boiled 3.5 G in a 4G pot. It's tight, and you can't look away for the first bit, but it worked for me. As soon as I am done with these whole-cone hops, I can go back to a 3G boil, but the dang hops absorb so much!

Back