BIAB Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been doing extract for a while and I'm in the middle of making the switch to AG, but I also wanted to try BIAB. I wanted to try Northern Brewers Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale BIAB kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oatmeal-cookie-brown-ale-biab-all-grain-kit.html), but I had a question about the size of my kettle.

I've read that most people seem to be fine with using a 5 gallon kettle, which is what I have for my extract brewing, but I'm a little afraid that my 5 gallon kettle is too small with the grain bill that this kit has. What do you guys think?

I also have 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot that I have never used. I guess I could use that, but would like to stick with SS.

A 5 gallon pot will be too small. Since this is a no-sparge method, you will need to begin with the total volume of water (in this case, approx. 5.5 gallons, PLUS the grains).

Use the aluminum pot -- you'll be fine.

And welcome to all grain!

With only a 3 gal batch, your 5 gal pot will be rather full, but should work if you are careful. I would use the 7 gal alum. pot without hesitation, to each their own.

A 5 gallon pot will be too small. Since this is a no-sparge method, you will need to begin with the total volume of water (in this case, approx. 5.5 gallons, PLUS the grains).

Use the aluminum pot -- you'll be fine.

And welcome to all grain!

+1 on the AL kettle; with a good oxidized layer it is perfectly fine. My Kettle doesn't hold all my total Mash/Sparge Water.. so, I hold back some Water every time and add it after the Mash/Bag removal and then I always hit my pre-boil gravity number by adjusting by home much water I need to add. Usually it's only a cup/two variation required

You can actually do a full 5 gallon batch with the pots thou have. Mash in the 7.5 gallon pot and at the same time heat up a couple gallons of sparge water (depending on your recipe) to about 170*F in your 5 gallon pot.

When your mash is finished lift the bag out of your mash pot letting it drain for a minute or two. Then just put the bag of grains into your sparge pot, stir, and let it sit for a few minutes.

Afte sparging, squeeze the bag if you can stand the heat and dump the sparge water into the 7.5 gallon pot which can already be heating up to a boil. This is the method I have been using since going AG, and with 80% efficiency I don't see any reason to spend. $100+ on a mash tun.

Hope this helps!

bschoenb said:
+1 on the AL kettle; with a good oxidized layer it is perfectly fine. My Kettle doesn't hold all my total Mash/Sparge Water.. so, I hold back some Water every time and add it after the Mash/Bag removal and then I always hit my pre-boil gravity number by adjusting by home much water I need to add. Usually it's only a cup/two variation required

To get an oxidized layer you just boil water in it for 30 minutes right?

Hello,

I've been doing extract for a while and I'm in the middle of making the switch to AG, but I also wanted to try BIAB. I wanted to try Northern Brewers Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale BIAB kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oatmeal-cookie-brown-ale-biab-all-grain-kit.html), but I had a question about the size of my kettle.

I've read that most people seem to be fine with using a 5 gallon kettle, which is what I have for my extract brewing, but I'm a little afraid that my 5 gallon kettle is too small with the grain bill that this kit has. What do you guys think?

I also have 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot that I have never used. I guess I could use that, but would like to stick with SS.

A 5 gallon kettle will work for a 3 gallon batch of no-sparge BIAB beer. I've done several 2.5-3 gallon BIAB batches with my 5 gallon stovetop kettle. It will be a bit tight, but it will work. The most important thing to know is whether your stove will put out enough heat to boil that much water. Mine does, but it takes a while.

Good luck.

+1 (heck I have even done stove top BIAB with three 5 gallon pots, PITA though)

you can actually do a full 5 gallon batch with the pots thou have. Mash in the 7.5 gallon pot and at the same time heat up a couple gallons of sparge water (depending on your recipe) to about 170*f in your 5 gallon pot.

When your mash is finished lift the bag out of your mash pot letting it drain for a minute or two. Then just put the bag of grains into your sparge pot, stir, and let it sit for a few minutes.

Afte sparging, squeeze the bag if you can stand the heat and dump the sparge water into the 7.5 gallon pot which can already be heating up to a boil. This is the method i have been using since going ag, and with 80% efficiency i don't see any reason to spend. $100+ on a mash tun.

Hope this helps!

You can use a 5 gallon kettle to do both the mash and boil for up to about 13lbs of grain. I do this all the time.

Your efficiency will be limited, though, because you only have room for 1 small batch sparge at best. You'll have to squeeze the hell out of the bag to get the wort out. I max out at around 70% efficiency, so it's not terrible. Make sure you get a good crush on your grain.

To get an oxidized layer you just boil water in it for 30 minutes right?

I believe so, but you can also put the pot in your oven (if the oven is big enough) and "cook" the pot at 350* for 15 minutes. Shut the heat off and let the pot sit in the oven until cool.

Back