BIAB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
Is a 5 gallon and an 8 gallon pot big enough to do a 5 gallon Batch BIAB? I already have the 5 and am looking to buy an 8, should i get a 10 instead of the 8? Any Thoughts?

8 is big enough.

For the 5 gallon pot you could do a modified "full boil". i.e. mash you BIAB as prescribed, but I would lean toward 1.25 quarts/lb h20/grain ratio and work with smaller beers (lower abv) to avoid having your grain bill overflowing your pot. By modified boil I mean, keep some water on your stove boiling and keep topping off to 5 gallons periodically. I used to do that with extract to keep a near full boil.

You will likely need 7 gallons for your full boil for AG (60 min boil), but I would consider getting a15 gal (60qt) if I were you, if you ever plan to do a 10 gallon batch. Once you nail down some recipes you like, you may want to do a 10 gallon batch to get double the yield with the same time. 60 qt brew pot is ideal for a 10g boil IMHO.

I am BIABing it and love it. Gonna hit 2 more batches this weekend.

my bad - you have an 8 gallon pot? I thought you said you were thinking of buying:drunk:

Perhaps I have been drinking tooo much!

I would get a 10 over an 8 for boil over protection if you want to stay smaller. I think 15 is ideal if you want to go to 10 gallon batches at some point.

I have the 5 and want to buy another pot so i can have one for the mash and another to heat the sparge water so i dont know whether to buy an 8 or a 10. I just found a 10 for a good price so Im probably just going to get that so i have more room for the future/bigger beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 5-gallon BIAB batches I'd recommend a 10-gal kettle at a minimum.

I brew 5-gal BIAB batches and my strike volume is close to 8-gals. With the grain and 8-gals of water, a 10-gal kettle is near full capacity when brewing big beers (OG 1.08+).

For 5-gallon BIAB batches I'd recommend a 10-gal kettle at a minimum.

I brew 5-gal BIAB batches and my strike volume is close to 8-gals. With the grain and 8-gals of water, a 10-gal kettle is near full capacity when brewing big beers (OG 1.08+).

I just did a 1.052 beer 11 lbs of grain started with 8.5g ended with barely 5g.

I just did a 1.052 beer 11 lbs of grain started with 8.5g ended with barely 5g.

That's interesting. I brewed a Hopslam clone the other day that had 20.5 pounds of grain and 8-gals of water and I ended up with 6.5 gals of wort in the kettle after removing and squeezing the grain bag a bit. I made a note to remind myself that this is the most I can do with this 10-gal kettle. I had only 1-inch of clearance from the top of the kettle when mashing. OG for this batch was 1.092.

I'm happy with my 10-gal kettle for 5-gal BIAB but I agree with those who recommend getting a 15-gal kettle if possible... the extra capacity wouldn't hurt and it will give you greater flexibility for the future.

Buy the 15 gallon, it's worth it. If you can't afford stainless, check out aluminum. That's what I have and it works fine. I bought mine at Home Depot, $40 on clearance. It's a Blinkmann 60 qt pot.

From my own research and experience, get the 15gallon if you want to ever do a 10 gallon batch, or a big grain bill beer. I wasn't sur when I got mine if I was going to crazy, but I am sure now. A 10 gallon would have been a waste of time, a pot to be replaced in a year or less.

CidahMastah said:
From my own research and experience, get the 15gallon if you want to ever do a 10 gallon batch, or a big grain bill beer. I wasn't sur when I got mine if I was going to crazy, but I am sure now. A 10 gallon would have been a waste of time, a pot to be replaced in a year or less.

My thoughts exactly. I viewed this pot as a lifetime brewing investment. Adding a ball valve and dip tube to it next week, can't wait.

My thoughts exactly. I viewed this pot as a lifetime brewing investment. Adding a ball valve and dip tube to it next week, can't wait.

+1 - why screw around with a limp pot, then spend more down the road. Get the one you will grow into.

Thanks for the input guys. Just bought a 15 gallon kettle. It ended up only being an extra $45 bucks so i think the investment is worth it.

Awesome - and congrats! You won't regret it.

Funny right, the price difference between a 15 gallon and a 30 gallon even.

I am brewing up a BIAB batch of obsidian stout in my 15 galloner right now, in my 45mins of the boil.

Late to the party here, but a 10-gallon is the perfect size if you know you will do 5g BIAB batches forevermore. I have an 8g and it is a bit too small. If you can get a 1.092 OG batch with a 10g you're going to be fine.

Now for flexibility the 15g does make sense as you can brew 10g down the road.

That's interesting. I brewed a Hopslam clone the other day that had 20.5 pounds of grain and 8-gals of water and I ended up with 6.5 gals of wort in the kettle after removing and squeezing the grain bag a bit. I made a note to remind myself that this is the most I can do with this 10-gal kettle. I had only 1-inch of clearance from the top of the kettle when mashing. OG for this batch was 1.092.

I'm happy with my 10-gal kettle for 5-gal BIAB but I agree with those who recommend getting a 15-gal kettle if possible... the extra capacity wouldn't hurt and it will give you greater flexibility for the future.

I know this is an old thread, but either way, your post got me thinking Seven. So you were able to do that (20.5 lbs grain and 8 gals of water) in just a 10 gal kettle?

I have an 8 gal kettle, and am looking at a maiden batch with ~11 lbs of grain and 7 gals of water. Will that all fit?

kevreh said:
I know this is an old thread, but either way, your post got me thinking Seven. So you were able to do that (20.5 lbs grain and 8 gals of water) in just a 10 gal kettle?

I have an 8 gal kettle, and am looking at a maiden batch with ~11 lbs of grain and 7 gals of water. Will that all fit?

Again, this is an old thread. That number (20 lbs grain) is hard to imagine without topping off. I would think that merely pulling out the grain bag and squeezing the heck out of the bag would net you less than 6 gallons of wort so that number doesn't seem right. Grain absorption would be about .1 gallons per pound so that's 2 gallons to 20 lbs.

using rackers can i mash it

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

11 lbs of grain w/ 7 gal (2.545 qt/lb) yields 7.88 gal...so I guess you're good to go:rockin:

edit...even though the calculator says it will fit by a hair...I would start w/ 6.5 gallons, and add the remaining water once the grain was doughed in...mixing grain above the kettle rim is a messy hell...haha.

I have a 15 gallon SS pot I've been doing 5 gal extract brews in. Love the 15 gal pot. I'm looking to brew in a bag with a 5 gal paint strainer bag. I'm wondering how much these bags can hold max. I like to do large OG beers and I know hold a large grain bag to drain is a problem also.

orangemen5 said:
I have a 15 gallon SS pot I've been doing 5 gal extract brews in. Love the 15 gal pot. I'm looking to brew in a bag with a 5 gal paint strainer bag. I'm wondering how much these bags can hold max. I like to do large OG beers and I know hold a large grain bag to drain is a problem also.

Above your post is a guy... Wilserbrewer. He makes the best BIAB bags out there. Custom designed for whatever pot you have. Great quality, Great guy and well worth the very inexpensive price. I wouldn't do a very high gravity beer 5 gallon batch in a paint strainer because it won't fit and if you packed one to the gills, you wouldn't have anything to hold on to so you can drain it. Send him a PM and he will hook you up.

Above your post is a guy... Wilserbrewer. He makes the best BIAB bags out there. Custom designed for whatever pot you have. Great quality, Great guy and well worth the very inexpensive price. I wouldn't do a very high gravity beer 5 gallon batch in a paint strainer because it won't fit and if you packed one to the gills, you wouldn't have anything to hold on to so you can drain it. Send him a PM and he will hook you up.

Thanks for the kind words divrguy...glad you are happy w/ your BIAB bag.
Mike

I BIAB And have a 7.5 gallon pot for my turkey fryer and a separate 8 gallon pot. I mash/boil in the 7.5 because it fits the burner and do a batch sparge in the 8 gallon to increase my efficiency. Works great!

Latest posts

Back