BIAB, PM - How much is too much sparge water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I brew partial mash BIAB using a 5 gallon kettle: 2/3 grains to 1/3 DME. I typically mash about 8-9 lbs of grain in 1.35 qt/lb water, and then sparge with approx 2 gallons water to top up my 5 galloon pot to approximaely 4.25 gallons. I prefer rinsing the bag rather than the dunk sparge method.

How much sparge water is too much though? At what point does tannin extraction become a risk? I have experienced tannin astringency before, though attributed this to high mash pH, which is now under control. Just wondering if I should also limit the sparge water amount. All input appreciated!

Tricky for me to do though with the one pot method. I'd rather not switch to the dunk method, but maybe I should just to avoid the risk of over-sparging.

If you don't want to check your pH or your runnings, batch sparging would probably be preferable as it's much harder to have pH issues with a 'dunk sparge' (batch sparge) than with continuous sparging. You'd be safe putting 3 quarts of water per pound of grain through your grain, if you want to just do that. You could probably put more through the grainbed, but it's hard to say without knowing the makeup and alkalinity of the water.

If you don't want to check your pH or your runnings, batch sparging would probably be preferable as it's much harder to have pH issues with a 'dunk sparge' (batch sparge) than with continuous sparging. You'd be safe putting 3 quarts of water per pound of grain through your grain, if you want to just do that. You could probably put more through the grainbed, but it's hard to say without knowing the makeup and alkalinity of the water.

Great, thanks Yooper.

Back