BIAB Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
Looking to switch from all grain to BIAB. My LHBS is about to place an order for kettles and I'm just trying to figure out what a good kettle size would be. I've found other threads that talk about kettle size for BIAB but none of them really stated a proper size; they all just say "yeah, your 8 gallon kettle is big enough." I'm not really looking for big enough but a proper size.

I am going to be doing 2.5 gallon batches and would like to be able to make higher gravity beers from time to time (say 10% or so). Don't worry about telling me to get a bigger size so that I can expand later as I am already down sizing from a 10 gal all grain system to this. My LHBS can get kettles from 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 gal pots etc.

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Thats 2.5 gallon batches AFTER fermentation so assume 3-3.5 gal going into fermenter

Looking to switch from all grain to BIAB. My LHBS is about to place an order for kettles and I'm just trying to figure out what a good kettle size would be. I've found other threads that talk about kettle size for BIAB but none of them really stated a proper size; they all just say "yeah, your 8 gallon kettle is big enough." I'm not really looking for big enough but a proper size.

I am going to be doing 2.5 gallon batches and would like to be able to make higher gravity beers from time to time (say 10% or so). Don't worry about telling me to get a bigger size so that I can expand later as I am already down sizing from a 10 gal all grain system to this. My LHBS can get kettles from 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 gal pots etc.

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Thats 2.5 gallon batches AFTER fermentation so assume 3-3.5 gal going into fermenter

First of all, BIAB is all grain, just fewer brewing vessels.

The general rule of thumb for BIAB kettle sizing is 2X the batch (post-boil) volume. You can get by with less, but you need to sparge to get all your pre-boil volume.

Edit: If you want to do full volume mashes of beers bigger than 1.065 OG, then you should get a kettle 2.5X the post boil volume.

Brew on :mug:

For 3.5G into fermenter I would probably do a 7 or 8 gal kettle. Just to make sure you can fit a big grain bill. However you could easily do it with a 6 gallon kettle too if you were willing to do a small bit of sparging.

Doug and priceless as usual have good advice, you probably want in the 7-7.5 gal range if you're planning full volume mashes and some big beers. I do BIAB batches of 3 gal (post boil and chill) in my 5 gal pot and need to sparge all but the very lowest gravity beers, which I don't mind but you might. Also I don't usually brew super high gravity beers, and even the ones I do in the 1.080-90's range usually have some added sugar like Belgians and bigger IPA's so it's easier to get away with the smaller pot/smaller mash volume.

I agree with the brilliant brewers above, but I would go min 8 and maybe even 9 to reduce risk of boilover. I hate boilovers.

Just thought of something, one nice thing about the small kettle is it fits easily in even a smaller oven, my pot is like 11" tall. I've tried a few different ways of maintaining mash temp on these small batches and putting the pot in a preheated oven is by far my favorite. Might keep that in mind if you're considering that technique, some of those 7 gal pots are pretty tall.

Buy a turkey fryer because it's way cheaper than anything your brew shop will order. I think the bayou one I have also has stuff I use during thanksgiving.

Thanks y'all. I went with an 8 gallon pot.

I'm part owner of a brewery so downsizing my homebrew setup is the clear choice at this moment. I can always get kegs from there!

Back