BIAB IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterthews

Reaction score
I am wanting to try out a BIAB session and was thinking about making an IPA. I have been reading and reading different recipes and formulas for creating beers, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how this is all done.

So I thought I would come to the beer gods and ask. Now I know that there are an infinite amount of ways to create an IPA, so I was hoping that you could point me in the right direction to get started. I do like really hoppy beers so I know I defiantly want a lot of hops, but as far as the grain goes I don't know where to begin. I basically would like to see a mock up recipe of a basic IPA so I have somewhere to start. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

An IPA is usually a very simple grain bill, with an OG of 1.050 to 1.075. That is usually about 12-14 pounds of grain.

So,

11 pounds base malt (two-row)
1 pound crystal malt (or use victory malt, amber malt, toasted malt, aromatic malt, or a mix of two for up to a pound, for a change)

Hop to 50-70 IBUs, using many late hops.

Like this:

1 ounce bitterning hops like magnum (or galena or nothern brewer or warrior) 60 minutes

1.00 oz hops 15 minutes
1.00 oz hops 5 minutes
1.00 oz hops 0 minutes

2 oz hops dryhopping

You can use some tradition US "C" hops, or use some of the new hops that are out. Some hops mix great together, too- like simcoe and amarillo or centennial and cascade.

I did BIAB and No-Chill SMaSH, and had good success with this:

13 lb. Maris Otter
1.25 oz Bravo 14.2% AA, FWH
1.25 oz Bravo, Cube hop (say 20 min or so for trad. brewing)
2.00 oz Bravo, dry hop

If you're using a traditional chilling method, I'd go with FWH, 20 min, 0 min, and dry hop.

This recipe taught me that I really like Bravo. SMaSH is a great way to get to know a particular hop and/or malt.

Have you tried the recipe section? Lots of good ideas there. What I've been doing is finding a recipe and using Beersmith to modify/scale it for my equipment and BIAB.

Here's one to get you started:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bee-cave-brewery-ipa-59907/

Wow, you folks post quickly in these parts.

Yoopers Stone Ruination clone looks like a winner, too. (Man, am I the only one that wants to brew nearly every recipe i see?)

Okay one more question that I just thought of. How do you go about putting reciepies together for different batch sizes?

Since this will be my first BIAB I was thinking of doing a 3 gallon batch. Plus my pot is only 8 gallons, so it would be pushing it capacity wise if I did a 5 gallon batch.

So how do I figure % wise or # wise of how much graimln etc?

Thanks

Quick answer: If it is already a five gallon recipe and you want three, then divide by five and multiply by three. Do for each ingredient.

Back