BIAB induction burner reflectix question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I am making the switch from BIAB (propane with a Keg) to BIAB (induction with a Tallboy.) I bought some reflectix today. do most people tape it on or do you temporarily put on the insulation? For those who tape it on, is your kettle a hassle to clean while keeping the reflectix dry?

Tim

I just wrap mine around the kettle, tuck it under the handles and have a few pieces of Velcro to hold it shut.

You'll need 3 or more layers and don't set your kettle on concrete as this sucks the heat out.

I just wrap mine around and have a piece of tape to keep it tight. Make sure to make one for your lid also.
As long as I make sure the kettle is full I can hold my mash temp with no problem. (I brew inside when its cold out).

I use velcro and 2 wraps....custom-made, I cut notches out for handles and the ball valve

I had velcro on mine to keep it on the kettle but now either my kettle got bigger or the reflectix shrunk.

Now I just wrap it with an adjustable bungee and it works so much better.

If I had to make it again I wouldn't even mess with velcro.

thank you for the responses. I think that I'll go with a double or triple wrap held on with some type of bungee cords.

Tim

Dumb question but do you guys wrap under the kettle too or leave it on the burner with it off (in case you need to give a quick fire up halfway through)? Also any good online sources to buy reflectix?

I leave kettle on burner (after turning it off) and throw sleeping bag over kettle to block air convection from bottom. I use to take kettle off the burner and place on a 1" thick rubber exercise mat but realized that was conducting heat causing my mash temps to drop over 7F over course of my mash. My last mash I only lost 1F over an hour in my 40F garage.

You don't want to refire burner with reflectix on kettle. It will burn (voice of experience).

I leave kettle on burner (after turning it off) and throw sleeping bag over kettle to block air convection from bottom. I use to take kettle off the burner and place on a 1" thick rubber exercise mat but realized that was conducting heat causing my mash temps to drop over 7F over course of my mash. My last mash I only lost 1F over an hour in my 40F garage.

You don't want to refire burner with reflectix on kettle. It will burn (voice of experience).

If you're using an induction heating plate/element, is there still a risk of burning the reflectix?

With induction it's not an issue, I leave it on through the entire brew session. Don't worry about covering the bottom heat rises so make sure to wrap the sides and cover the lid wit a layer or two. I got my giant roll from Home Depot it's way more than you will need though

Back