BIAB How to Squeeze the Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
What methods do people use for squeezing the bag when doing a BIAB? I don't have a pulley setup to let it drain naturally in mine. I've tried various ways of pressing the bag against something flat/solid and putting a colander upside down in another kettle and squeezing with the lid.

Are there other methods that people use?

I know squeezing the bag doesn't cause tannins...

I put a vegetable steamer (with removed center post) in a second pot and place it in there atop the steamer and gently press. Most just drains out on its own, then I pour the drained amount into the main pot.

I'm doing 2.5G batches.

I have a 7.5 kettle with a colander and I mash in this, when done I take the bag and have a zapap type set up, where I have a Lowes 5 gallon food grade bucket with a few hundred hole drilled in it, I place this lowes bucket into my bottling bucket and put the bag of grains in the Lowes bucket, I sparge my grains and it drains into the bottle bucket which pours into my kettle. When ready I take my 1 gallon SS kettle lid and press the bag in the Lowes bucket to get the extra liquid out. Simple set up really.

My bag is in a steamer basket. I let it drain to the BK then lift it out and put in in another pot. The I use a pot lid to press down and pour the results into the BK.

I have my bag in a big metal fryer basket for a turkey fryer pot, I hang a pulley and carabiner to pull the basket out after the mash, once I finish sparging (not a big enough pot for no sparge) I take a potato masher and start going to town on the bag.

I recall a guy that simply used a 5 gallon bucket with a small stainless pot upside down in the bottom to hold the bag up 4-5 inches. He would remove the grain bag from the kettle and set it in the bucket to drain, after 20 minutes he just add the collected wort to the boil, w/ no squeezing just letting the bag drain.

Works every time. I also do leave the grain bag in a collendar while I brew. It continues to drip even after the squeeze.
Strain.jpg

Back