BIAB grain absorption rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanmaxwell

Reaction score
Is my likely grain absorption rate likely to differ from "traditional" all grain brewing due to the double crush? Both of the two "traditional" all grain batches I did, my rate was roughly 0.1

I lose 0.07 gallons per pound - I squeeze the bag pretty hard. Not sure it's really worth the effort to get the grain absorption rate down as low as I have it. You sure have to work hard to get the last little bit of sugary goodness out the the grain.

About the same - .08 for me. That's with a normal milling at the LHBS and minimal squeezing (I squeeze the "neck" or top of the bag together above the grain to tighten the bag as much as possible, but don't squeeze the grain directly)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a couple 2.5gal batches now and it looks like I only absorbed about 0.8gal as well. Loving this BIAB! Nice to have the flexibility of AG, but in the kitchen when the weather sucks. I'll still do traditional for 5+ gallon batches, but these 2.5 gallon batches are what I experiment with. Wish I'd have started this sooner.

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a couple 2.5gal batches now and it looks like I only absorbed about 0.8gal as well. Loving this BIAB! Nice to have the flexibility of AG, but in the kitchen when the weather sucks. I'll still do traditional for 5+ gallon batches, but these 2.5 gallon batches are what I experiment with. Wish I'd have started this sooner.

Try to minimize the wasted time and you can probably do two 2 1/2 gallon batches in the time it would take to do a 5 gallon batch in the traditional method. You can have the same amount of one beer or 2 different beers. :mug:

Back