BIAB Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jferdi

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for advice on an electric brew kettle to move from extract brewing to BIAB all grain batches. Here is the electric kettle I am looking at. DigiBoil Electric Kettle with Mash Upgrade Kit - 35L/9.25G (110V) Beer Brewing. It's priced at $300 CAD. What is your opinion on this product? Will I be able to brew 5 gallon batches with decent efficiency? Link at bottom.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DigiBoil-El...=2836257445993bc3dc65b3e94f138f34679566da9bb1

Has no one used this? From my understanding this kettle is the only thing I would need other than a grain bag or strainer. Is this right?

While I don't use that particular equipment, I use something similar in the Brewers Edge Mash & Boil. I don't recirculate and prefer to use biab inside of the mash pipe. I like that method a lot. Haven't tried 5 gallons, but that item has nearly an extra 2 gallons of volume compared to mine (9.25G vs 7.5G), and I managed full volume 4 gallons with extreme ease, so I'd think 5 gallons would be a breeze for you. As with all equipment, it'll take a few brews to get your efficiencies figured out. I don't consider myself particularly talented, and my set up is pretty fast and loose, but I hit mid to high 70s mash efficiency very easily.

Other items I'd also suggest purchasing is your own mill, a wort chiller, and a hop basket.

I use that Digiboil but without the mash upgrade. I just have the basic kettle and a Wilser bag, and I got good efficiency right off the bat (I use my own grain mill, a Cereal Killer, and grind it finely). I really like the Digiboil compared to using propane, and it's big enough for 5 gallon batches. Heating time is obviously slower than 220V, but I don't have any problems with it.

If you wind up getting the digiboil, I'd recommend getting the neoprene jacket to go over it. It's not expensive and it'll help speed up the ramp times a little. And as Immocles said, a wort chiller would be a good idea. I don't use a hop basket myself.

Something else to consider: when pulling the grain bag or malt pipe out after mashing, it's surprisingly heavy. Especially with the tall/ narrow design of the coffee urn style units (mash & boil, robobrew, foundry, grainfather). If you're planning on putting it on a counter, I'd highly recommend a step ladder and making sure you have enough clearance for the malt pipe, which nearly doubles the height. If you're using it on the ground, make sure you have a way to get the wort into your fermenter. I wouldn't trust the handles enough to pick it up with 5 gallons in it.

Back