BIAB Electric External RIMS/GAS Hybrid system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianccarr

Reaction score
I have been slowly building a single vessel recirculating BIAB system.

I live in Alabama and have a deck overlooking 8 acres. I enjoy brewing outdoors and the weather here for the most part permits me to. I am looking at a hybrid system where I will use my propane burner to heat my strike water for mash. Then recirculate the mash and maintain my proper temperature through an external low power RIMS. I am considering the Brewhardware.com 5500w 240v element running on 120v or The Blichmann RIMS Rocket 240v running on 120v. I will plug into a standard 120v exterior outlet. This outlet runs to a 20amp gfci breaker in the breaker box. The only thing that will run on this breaker will be the heater element, the control box, and a pump.

In addition to deciding on the heating component, I have yet to understand the best way to return the wort to the mash. I will be using a bag. I currently have the "Spincycle" from Brewhardware.com installed for whirl pooling after the boil. I considered installing the bag for mashing so that the Spincycle would be in the bag. This can be done easily as seen in the above picture but I doubt I could get the bag out from under the Spincycle once it's full of mashed in grains. "TexasWine" has already explained to me as to why this is not a good idea and why this would not be the best place to return to the mash. So I would love a suggestion on how to return the wort. I have considered installing another port and using lock line or a high temp hose.

Controller: I know I can build one but I really just want a quality plug and play solution. Here are the ones I've looked at so far: Brew Boss 240v , Bräu Supply SV240 EZboil, Blichmann TOP 240v, High Gravity Wort Hog EBC-130 240v, and TowerColler 240v Electric BIAB. These are all I could find. I assume I could run these 240v controllers on 120v and expect 25% output on the element?

I know this was long winded but I would really appreciate any input from any of the many experts on this great forum that I have already learned so much from.

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Controller: I know I can build one but I really just want a quality plug and play solution. Here are the ones I've looked at so far: Brew Boss 240v , Bräu Supply SV240 EZboil, Blichmann TOP 240v, High Gravity Wort Hog EBC-130 240v, and TowerColler 240v Electric BIAB. These are all I could find. I assume I could run these 240v controllers on 120v and expect 25% output on the element?

I mistakedly said 240v controllers. I really only need a 120V controller for this setup if I'm not mistaken.

The simplest solution (and one I use effectively) is just running a high temp silicone hose from the output of your pump over the side of the kettle and into the mash. I didn't want to drill another hole in my kettle so I went that route.

I'm no help with a controller recommendation though, I built my own.

The view from your deck sounds awesome! Wish I could afford land like that up here!

Back