BIAB Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too think the material is too coarse. My homemade voile bag(s) have worked great. I bought a voile panel from Walmart, cut it in half, and had a co-worker stitch the sides (double stitch as found on jean seams).

The bag is very durable and should last a long time.

I have the 5 gallon paint strainer bags from Lowes. They are nice, but they just barely fit my 10 gallon kettle. A little bigger would be nice.

those will work, unless you have a pot bigger than the bag. the specs listed are 6"x9.5"

I don't know how they are measuring that, but I've had up to 15lb of grain in one of the "5 gallon" bags. I'd say the stretch out to a little smaller than that 2'x3' midwest bag.

drewski - that looks similar to what I use

will be getting a voile bag and drawstring eventually but for now the paint strainer bags work great

i reuse them inside the bucket when i transfer the wort from the kettle to filter out the hops and some trub

i reuse them inside the bucket when i transfer the wort from the kettle to filter out the hops and some trub

I would use a little caution doing this...anything in the mash really should be boiled prior to touching the fermented wort. For the price of a strainer bag I might not mix pre / post boil. Just 2 cents?

I actually started doing it the other way. I toss the bag from the mash then use the bag from straining into the fermenter as a mash bag the next batch after washing it

I use this bag in a 35 qt kettle. I have had 14# of grain in it with plenty of room for more grain. It is barely not wide enough to roll around the lip on my kettle. I just tie it around the handle on the side of the kettle.

I am a new brewer so not sure how it compares to the paint strainer.

I use this exact bag. It fits my 15.5 gal. keggle perfectly. However, I am wondering if it is, in fact, too coarse. I have been fighting a grainy taste in my lighter beers and am wondering if it's letting too much through in the boil. I have tweaked every other part of my process, including my crush to the point where I think this may be the culprit. If I'm not mistaken, voile is a pretty fine mesh. I think I'm going to try that next. I just need to find someone who knows how to sew :)

I use a 30 plate chiller; the voile keeps the wort (minus protiens) very clean.

Voile is very fine. Check out a panel at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, or anyplace that carries curtains.

I bought 3yds. of voile fabric at Jo-Ann Fabric for $4 per yard. Made 2 bags for my 15 gallon keggle with enough for a third. It is about 10% finer than my LHB 6"x9" hop bag. I had only had about 3/4" of trub in the bottom of the kettle with a 9 lb grain bill. It settled out very fast with a good cold break.

Back