BIAB bag drain and sueeze bucket (with a pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took an idea from a podcast, the person wanted to know if he could drill hundreds of holes in a bucket and use that as a " brew bag". I took a bucket and drilled lots of holes in the bottom, when you set into another bucket it leaves abou 3 inches for your grain bag to drain. ThEn I used a pie pan to press the crap out of my grains. Worked really well! No mess and I was able to get most of the wort out of my grain.

image-1553614915.jpg

Sounds like a decent idea. How do you pour your wort into the bucket? My 15 lb pot would be a beeeyatch.

I set the drilled bucket in an undrilled bucket, and heft the (mostly) drained bag of grain into the drilled bucked, then press the bejesus out of the bag.

I have bought oven racks from a local thrift store to put over my brew kettle. The drilled bucket goes on top of these racks and the wort drains into the brew kettle. If my volume comes up short I can run sparge water over the grains and have that drain into the bucket.

I set the drilled bucket in an undrilled bucket, and heft the (mostly) drained bag of grain into the drilled bucked, then press the bejesus out of the bag.

Damn, I thought I had something unique.;) That's exactly what I did.
I only do 5 gallon batches so the bag fits very nicely.

Could be, I have yet to read any brewing books. I spun off the idea from another brewer.

the 3rd edition is quite nice. updated info since the first two. I'd also recommend (in order) "How to Brew" by John Palmer, "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels, and "The Brew Master's Bible" by Stephen Snyder.

Nice idea.

I'd prefer to use a food grade bucket. They have them at Lowes.

I believe I saw this before in one of Dave Miller's books. He put a spigot in the undrilled bucket and used this set up to mash out and rinse the grains into a brew pot. Its a cheaper yet effective version if someone is looking to get into all grain or partial mash without buying into a insulated cooler/keggle mash tun. If memory serves I think the holes were smaller on the drilled bucket in Dave Miller's book so that a grain bag would not be needed. I was going to do this until I got booted out of the kitchen and my homebrewing got banished to the garage. :)

Not sure if I would press the bejesus out of the bag. Didn't BrewStrong mentioned something on one of their episodes about this could lead to excess tannins in your wort... Sorry memory is a bit hazy on the recollection.

Redbeard5289

...... I was going to do this until I got booted out of the kitchen and my homebrewing got banished to the garage. :)

Not sure if I would press the bejesus out of the bag. Didn't BrewStrong mentioned something on one of their episodes about this could lead to excess tannins in your wort... Sorry memory is a bit hazy on the recollection.

Redbeard5289

LOL! I wasn't booted out per se, but the wife was glad to see me move to the garage! As for tannins, come to find out that tannins are more a result of ph than squeezing.

(ps - I used to have a Redbeard - now it's a Whitebeard :D )

Back