BiaB Bag Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
I've done a few BiaB's now using the same bag. It seems to work fine. I'm starting to get worried though as it's starting to stain (especially after my last two dark beers). I also always have an issue where I can not get all of the old grain out. There is always some that sticks and stays. For this I dry the bag (over a bucket) and then shake the bag a few days later but it's still leaves behind some grain.

What is the common practice for BiaB? Get a new bag every few times? Roll with the bag with the understanding the wort boils anyway so, if it isn't the cleanest it will still become clean? Something in between?

I will dump the grains, hand wash the grain out of the bag as much as I can, then wash it. Then I will double rinse it. It seems to work for me. Once it drys I'll try to shake out enough of the husks.

Empty the grains
Turn it inside out
Rinse it out
Let it air dry.

If I still see some grain specks, I just pick them out. I plan on getting one of Chad's mesh baskets and ditching the bags, just haven't had the funds for it yet.

Thanks for the replies. I switched bags today and the new one has a slicker surface and seems like it will clean much better with rinsing and picking any left overs. If that doesn't work I'll try the washing machine method :-D.

Back