BG14 - Orange flame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
My stand has 2 bg14 burners few by VR8200 valves. One burner works great. The other burner I can't get rid of the orange flame. I've checked all the normal stuff and it's fine. I replaced the orifices on both with proper ones from Williams. Orange is not enough oxygen, so should have nothing to do with the valve. Would need to be something with the burner? This is all tested with no pot on top btw.

Todd

Is the burner dirty? Wort or rust can foul a burner quickly.

Try disassembling and cleaning thoroughly would be my suggestion.

Have you had a boil over on this burner?

I've only used the stand once and it's been like this from the get go. I was hoping it was due to the pot being too close to the flame. But, it's the same issue with no pot. Maybe I'll take the shutter off and see what happens. I could make the shutter openings larger. There doesn't seem to be any blockages in there. If I close the shutter the orange flames get even worse.

Todd

Open the shutter all of the way and slowly close it until the flame gets right. Are you sure you have the correct burner orafice for your fuel gas?

I agree with Wilser, I had the same problem with my BG 10 burner and it didn't "look" blocked up but after I took it apart and cleaned it with a wire brush it worked like brand new again. I don't know if the 14 comes apart but I would imagine it does, I would try that next.

It is the burner furthest away. Would orange indicate not enough oxygen though, or too much fuel? Or just improper mixture? It's maybe 3' of total length further.

Todd

So, I finally got around to troubleshooting more. Took the burner apart, and all is good there. I removed the shutter completely and put some tape on the openings around the orifice. With approximately the same opening as the shutter wide open, weak very orange flames. Moving the tape so there is much more air available I can achieve a nice hot blue flame.

Not sure why it is such, but I guess I'll enlarge the shutter openings and be done with it.

Todd

Back