BG14 Burners Natural Gas Indoors With venting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Would it be safe to burn BG14 burners, converted to natural gas, in my garage, if I installed the proper commercial hood fan? As far as CO? Obviously my gas stove in my kitchen is OK, but I am wondering about running such high BTU burners maybe even simultaneously. And what kind of exhaust fan setup this would require.

Would it be safe to burn BG14 burners, converted to natural gas, in my garage, if I installed the proper commercial hood fan? As far as CO? Obviously my gas stove in my kitchen is OK, but I am wondering about running such high BTU burners maybe even simultaneously. And what kind of exhaust fan setup this would require.

You certainly can do this, the question is obviously "how big is proper"?
Considering the pissant hoods I see over even 6 burner kitchen ranges that are rated for 200cfm in free air (and who knows how much that's cut down by grease catchers, duct length + bends plus the cap), I'd think a 1200cfm blower pulling through 8" round ductwork would be a really good start. Then you just need to size your hood(s).

You'll still have ensure plenty of make-up air (plus what you need ;)) entering the space.
If you have a window you can open, or just open the garage door a foot or so, that should be covered.

And install a CO detector anyway, of course...

Cheers!

I would say take a CO detector and keep it close by and see what happens. Those are set to go off far below any harmful levels so as long as they are quiet you are fine. IDLH (immediately dangerous to life and health) is 1200 ppm for CO. An alarm will sound within a few minutes at levels of 300-400 ppm. CO is a byproduct of incomplete combustion so if the burner is running cleanly there shouldn't be a problem.

Still working on a clean burn (outdoors with propane). Indoors with natural gas is my plan though

I ran two BG14 burners on NG in my garage for years. Had a window right next to the brew stand. Kept a CO monitor close by, never went off, never bothered installing a hood.

Not saying your situation is the same....just sharing my experience.

You certainly can do this, the question is obviously "how big is proper"?
Considering the pissant hoods I see over even 6 burner kitchen ranges that are rated for 200cfm in free air (and who knows how much that's cut down by grease catchers, duct length + bends plus the cap), I'd think a 1200cfm blower pulling through 8" round ductwork would be a really good start. Then you just need to size your hood(s).

You'll still have ensure plenty of make-up air (plus what you need ;)) entering the space.
If you have a window you can open, or just open the garage door a foot or so, that should be covered.

And install a CO detector anyway, of course...

Cheers!

day_trippr you sound like you might work in the (HVAC?) industry? if so - any brand/model recommendations that won't break the bank?

Back