BG10 - Flame under burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3-burner, single tier system put together by a friend of a friend. I've emailed him about this issue, but thought I'd throw it out to the group as well while I wait:

I have BG10 burners, and I happen (don't remember why) to look underneath the stand while boiling my latest batch a couple of weeks ago. As most people who have these burners know, there's a screw right in the center of the burner which helps anchor it in place. I noticed a flame coming out the bottom of the screw hole (around the screw) on the underside of the burner. I assume that's bad. Anything I can/should do to rectify things?

Pics below. The first I just took, and I added a red arrow showing the scorch marks from where the flame emanated. The second is from my brew day, and shows a blue flame shooting out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

no flame.jpg

flame.jpg

I have the same burner. It's a pretty sloppy hole on the bottom. I've never noticed but I bet mine does the same. I would try putting a stainless washer inside the burner to cover the sloppy hole. I wouldn't recommend a galvanized washer, it might off gas something nasty due to the heat.

What about using the yellow teflon tape on the threads to seal it up well. I used a bunch of it on the tips on my jet burner (they are full of sloppy holes). Works like a charm.

dcbc, and you don't find the temp to be a problem that close to the heat? Not melting your tape or anything?

It has never been an issue. If it has melted, it hasn't lost its seal as a result.

Yellow pipe tape is good to 500* F, I don't think the bottom of that burner actually runs that hot. As far as a "sloppy hole" goes, it is best described in the movie "The Butler". The guys are sitting around talking about sex with Black women, basically what is told is the woman said to, put one hand up there, put in the second second and if you can't clap, it's not a sloppy hole. I'm just sayin'.

Back