BFQ50 Keezer Build with Coffin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcapmidnoces

Reaction score
I've gathered most of the materials for my keezer project, so about time to start a build log I guess!
I'm basing the build off of the Black and Decker 5.0 cu ft chest freezer (BFQ50). It can fit 2 ball lock kegs without modification, or it could fit 3 with about a 4" collar. For now I'm happy with 2 kegs, but would like to design the keezer with the ability to easily add a collar and extra tap.

Nothing complex here. Just assembling the base which is basically a dolly for the keezer.
Always nice to make sure you have the right tools and parts so you don't have to run to the store mid-build!

Using a quick square makes assembly a breeze.

I made sure that the 2x4s weren't butted up tight here to make sure I had a nice flat edge to attach my side panels to eventually.

I put the casters on the higher 2x4s to make the dolly sit lower to the ground. Hardest part was remembering to put the locking casters diagonal to each other (and making sure there was clearance for them to rotate 360 degrees)

Actually didn't have everything right to start out with here! Needed a 3 prong outlet, not 2 prong. Also needed a few more cables and wire nuts.

I needed to make sure that each outlet was isolated from each other on the switching side of the outlets. The input wires are coming out of the controller.

The overall setup looks good although it's a bit of a cable mess. I will be plugging the freezer into the cool outlet. I don't have plans to add a heater yet, but I have seen people add incandescent light bulbs as heaters to the inside of the freezer.

Functionally speaking all I need is a place to mount the taps and I can call this build done, but I want it to look nice too! Guess it's time for some design work :pipe:

Decided I want to do an inlay, either on the front or the top. Actually leaning towards the top right now right in front of the drip tray.
But maybe an even more important decision...light on dark or dark on light?

Decided to test out my design on some scrap wood.
My original idea was to cut 2 pieces, an inside and outside piece, because I thought the kerf would be large enough to cause a gap in the parts. And from the top side I'm right! Well, some wood filler and it wouldn't look *too* bad...

But from the bottom I can actually barely see a seam! I think I'll just rotate the design and cut my sheets upside down. A bit of sanding and some different color stain and I think I should have something that looks pretty decent!

Latest posts

Back