Beverage-Air BM23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It seems that I hit the jackpot this week. I was talking to my boss this week about homebrewing and kegging. I told him I was about to break down and spend a chunk of change on a chest freezer conversion then he told me he had a kegerator he was looking for a home for.

He said if I came and picked it up from him, I could have it. Free!

It came with a Sankey keg (keggle, anyone?), and an old Coca-Cola CO2 canister. Looks to be either a 10 or 20 pounder.

Anyways, my question is...

How many 5G soda kegs can I fit in this bad boy? I'm thinking I can squeeze three in since the CO2 is external, but does anyone have experience in this?

I haven't plugged it in yet, but I was told it may have a bad compressor/condenser - has anyone had to replace these in a BevAir before? Or is it just in need of a charge?

It needs some work, for sure, but before you know it, I'll be rocking two or three taps! Huzzah!

Thanks!

If it's a bm23 it's worth fixing. Plug it in and report back what it does or doesn't do. When you plug it in the fan inside should run all the time. Those are the weak link. If the fan stops it won't get cold. Also don't ever add an external temperature controller to one of these commercial units. It won't work propery.

I just had a used compressor (R-12) put in mine and had it recharged. Cost about $240 to get it done, but worth it. I'm in the process of taking care of the rust and the rotted foam, so its stripped down getting ready for a rubberized floor (spray on) and a fresh coat of paint black on the outside to cover the wood grain and a tripple perlick tap!

Awesome, thanks guys.

What's the difference between a standard faucet and a perlick? Is it just that you can take the perlick all the way apart? Is it worth the extra $70?

I like the rubberized floor idea. That sounds awesome.

If I'm doing a majority of ales that are going to be pressurized to the standard 2.2-2.4 volumes of CO2, do I need to invest in a three way regulator or will a splitter work?

I'll be plugging it in Thursday and will report back!

Yes it's worth the extra $ for perlick 525ss. I would opt for a 3 way regulator. At the least a double regulator with a splitter.

Alrighty, plugged it in tonight. The fan runs constantly, but you can hear a relay clicking. My dad (who has a lot of experience in HVAC and refrigeration), says its the starter relay for the compressor. We'll be replacing that relay or trying to give it a hard start to see if its just old.

I took the tower off and gave it a cleaning. The liquid line is shot, it's completely brown and disgusting...

If it's clicking but not kicking the compressor on it's probably the start relay like you described. A universal one should work. Let us know what happens. When you get it going, put 5 gal bucket of water inside and let it run at least 36hours at setting 5 on the thermostat. Then take a temp reading of the water and re adjust. I think setting 5 should be around 38 degrees. Wait 24 hours before checking temp between adjustments.

What temp am I aiming for as a serving temperature? 34-36?

Depends on your personal preference. Usually 38 is the standard temp. Most common is 38-40. Although I sometimes set my kegerator at 36 in the dead of summer for a very cold beer.

Plugged it in yesterday after replacing the relay and it started right up. Put my brew kettle in with about 6 gallons of water and its been running overnight. Within a couple of hours, it dropped from room temp to 56, and this morning it was at 42. I adjusted the controller at about 4:30 this afternoon from 5 to 4 and the temp rose to 44. About 7pm I adjusted it to 6-ish and it hasn't changed much.

How can I break that 40-degree barrier? I'd be really happy at 38-39.

Try going up to 7 and leave it until tomorrow. It takes a very long time to equalize temp. But when you get it right you should be all set and not have to worry about it again.

Checked it this morning before leaving for work with the setting at 6. Temp read 39.9!! Woot!

I turned it up to 6.5 and I'm going to check it when I get home. Hoping to find 38ish!!

Back