Beverage-Air BM23 not getting cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xantus954

Reaction score
OK heres my situation and I'm hoping someone that knows a little more about these things can give me some advice.

I have an older BM23, with the fake wood grain paneling on the outside. I bought it almost 2 years ago off craigslist. When I got it home and plugged it in, I noticed it was leaking. So at the time I rigged the drip pan, which had rusted through with some foil, and it has been working since then. It started to leak again recently, and it was rust stained water that was dripping over everything. This was dripping on my regualtor and has stained one of the gauges. So I decided my rig fix needed to become a permanant fix.

This week I shut the kegerator off, removed the drip tray. Which meant disconnecting the two wires from the thermostat switch and at the time I thought I had to cut a solid core copper wire that I think goes to the thermostat. turns out I didn't, but I had already cut the wire. I sprayed the drain pan with that rubber in a can stuff to seal up all the holes. Let it dry for a few days reconnected the wires and put it back together. Now it turns on but doesn't get cold at all. I've removed the drain pan reconnected wires, switched wires on the thermostat connection thinking I may have reversed them. Cleaned the solid core wire and reconnected it.

So now I'm thinking I may have broken something possibly the thermostat but don't know what else to check. How do I tell if the compressor is running? What else can I check?

Any advice here is appreciated as I made a few calls and the one place I did get ahold of that would come look was a commercial refrigeration repair place and wanted 150 bucks just to come out and look at it. I love the kegerator but that's about what I paid for it so that's a no go.

That "solid core wire" was actually the capillary tube for the thermostat.

Something to try: unplug the line cord from the wall socket, take the two wires off the thermostat, and short them together. Then plug the line cord back into the outlet. You should hear the compressor start running and the unit should start to cool.

If that works you can resurrect the fridge by plugging the line cord into an external temperature controller, such as a Johnson A419 or an STC-1000 and be good to go...

Cheers!

Thanks I'll have to give that a try. Hoping it works, the kegerator is in rough shape as I bought it used but its the same model my dad had when I was growing up so I'd like to keep it running if possible.

That "solid core wire" was actually the capillary tube for the thermostat.

Something to try: unplug the line cord from the wall socket, take the two wires off the thermostat, and short them together. Then plug the line cord back into the outlet. You should hear the compressor start running and the unit should start to cool.

If that works you can resurrect the fridge by plugging the line cord into an external temperature controller, such as a Johnson A419 or an STC-1000 and be good to go...

Cheers!

Just wanted to say thanks again. I connected the thermostat wires together and the beast lives!

Just have to track down a thermostat now or rig a temp controller to it and I'm back in business.

I am sort of having the same issue. A buddy of mine just gave me a BM23 that hasn't been used in years. I fired it up and it seems to get a little cool. The thermostat control know is gone. How difficult is it to replace the thermostat? Also I see two wires hanging loose - one black, one white - with little clips on the end that look like they should attach to something. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The thermostat for the BM23 is super easy to replace. A couple screws and two wires, and making sure the capilary tube is in the right place.

I can't say for sure without pictures but if your thermostat is missing and those two hanging wires would plug into the back of it. If the wires are for the thermostat and you want to know if it works before buying parts you can short those two wires together to make the compressor run all the time to see if it gets cold. Don't leave it on for extended periods like this, just a way to see if it still gets cold.

The thermostat for the BM23 is super easy to replace. A couple screws and two wires, and making sure the capilary tube is in the right place.

I can't say for sure without pictures but if your thermostat is missing and those two hanging wires would plug into the back of it. If the wires are for the thermostat and you want to know if it works before buying parts you can short those two wires together to make the compressor run all the time to see if it gets cold. Don't leave it on for extended periods like this, just a way to see if it still gets cold.

It gets cold but it could be colder. There is no dial on thermostat. I ordered a replacement. After doing some research I believe the two wires are for the evaporator fan. The assembly that houses all of this is missing so the thermostat and wires are just hanging there. What would happen if I don't replace the evaporator fan? Someone gave this to me, it's old and I don't want to spend a lot on it.

It gets cold but it could be colder. There is no dial on thermostat. I ordered a replacement. After doing some research I believe the two wires are for the evaporator fan. The assembly that houses all of this is missing so the thermostat and wires are just hanging there. What would happen if I don't replace the evaporator fan? Someone gave this to me, it's old and I don't want to spend a lot on it.
You might post a few photos of what you have. The evaporator fan is REQUIRED to move air across the evaporator coil. Very little heat transfer can take place without this air movement. If the housing you mention is important in channeling the air from the interior through the evaporator coil and back into the interior it will need to be replaced.

Back